22 | lies and love

August 27th 2019

it's been three days since the start of school. since i snapped at Benny. since we got in a fight. since Harper started getting dangerously close with my boyfriend. the work in school is already getting hard but it's what i expected high school to be.

Benny and i really haven't spoken on our issues yet. we've kind of been continuing on as normal, but things are different and i feel like our spark is fading and it's scaring me. this is the only reason i didn't want to have feelings for my best friend. because we're becoming more distant now that we've been together awhile. i get that things aren't always going to be sunshine and rainbows, though. i need to talk to Benny.

"the fitnessgram pacer test is a multi stage aerobic capacity test, that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. the 20 meter pacer..."

"i thought we'd be done with the damn pacer after middle school." Kendra complains, stretching out her legs.

"doesn't really bother me." i shrug, "i can run for long periods of time i usually get a good score."

"bet you can't beat me." DeNunez pipes up from the other side of me.

"or me." Bertram laughs from beside DeNunez. everyone looks towards Benny to counter but he just looks away. okay?

"all of you are going to beat me." Kendra laughs, "i'm a dancer and my teachers say it's not good to run and that it'll damage our knees."

"hey Kendra, you should come play ball with us sometime." Bertram looks past me and smiles at Kendra.

"maybe if i have time. i've never played before though and dance takes up majority of my time. usually when i'm not at school i'm in the studio training."

"i can teach you the basics if you stop by." Bertram says.

"maybe." she cocks an eyebrow before taking off her glasses and tossing them on the floor.

"wow they didn't even break." i look at her glasses on the gym floor.

"well if they did that's fine. it's not like i'm blind, i can see pretty well without them but-"

"on your mark, get ready, start." the pacer guy's voice rings throughout the gym speakers and we begin jogging to the other side of the room. as the levels get harder and faster, Kendra runs out, not breathing heavily, and i glance over to DeNunez and Bertram looking back at me. the competition is on.

we get to level 72 and i start to get really tired and i barely have anytime to rest between laps. i think the boys notice. "giving up so soon? i could run a hundred more." DeNunez remarks and i shake my head with a smile.

"never." i reply.

we make it to the 90s and it's getting really intense. this is the longest i've ever went and i'm not feeling to great, but i'm not losing to the boys. with my legs completely numb and wobbly i run a lap and hear "100" Bertram steps out with a disappointed look on his face.

"i'm not getting out until you do." i speak loudly over DeNunez and i's pants as we sprint across the gym. i notice Benny's still going too. i can't let him beat me. not today.

"i'll pay you 20 dollars if we both step out now." DeNunez offers and i think about it. i can't feel my legs and my heart is beating out of my chest.

"sure." i agree. DeNunez runs past the finish line and into the wall sending me a dirty look as i wink and keep going. no way in hell is Benny beating me.

110... 117... 121

i now keep intense eye contact with my boyfriend as we both soar across the room time and time again. i think we're both thinking the same thing. we're the last ones running.