chapter 17 | falling

July 10th 2019

I SLIP OFF MY WET shoes and shake some water out of my hair. we don't knock before going into each other's houses anymore.

"Benny?" I shouted, my voice echoing through the house. no response. i started walking through the hallway towards the kitchen when strong arms wrap around my waist from behind me and i scream, surprised.

"you scared me!" i break away from Benny's grip and punch him in the arm jokingly with a big smile on my face the whole time. he just laughs at me.

he takes some of my wet hair into his hand "it's raining that hard? your hair and sweatshirt are soaked. all you did was walk across the street." my hair and hoodie are soaking wet because of the pouring rain.

"no, i also had to take my dog for a walk before coming over here." i explain.

"so, hoods just aren't a thing anymore or what." Benny teases.

"shut up." i roll my eyes and laugh.

"hey, no complaints." he takes my hand in his, "it's cute. cmon let's go watch stranger things."

"oh ya!" i squeal with excitement, "i forgot you're all caught up now and we can start season three. i'm so sick of all the spoilers all over tiktok and instagram."

he holds onto my hand as he pulls me up the stairs towards his room. when we get there he leaps on his bed, not letting go of my hand which forces me to fall on top of him. "ahhh!" i yell and laugh, then he pecks my lips.

"wait," he pushes me off of him and gets off the bed.

"um. rude." i joke.

he runs over to his closet and opens it up revealing a few hoodies, "your sweatshirt is soaking wet. want one of mine to wear?"

i smile and walk over to him. "i'll take the blue one." i point to a light blue hoodie. he takes it off the hook and hands it to me.

Benny puts his hands over his eyes and turns around. "don't be stupid, how many times have you seen me in a bikini? seeing me in a sports bra really isn't any different." i pull off my wet hoodie as he turns around. but he doesn't look at my body, he looks into my eyes as i pull his soft hoodie over my head.

i'm a little short, and Benny definitely isn't. so naturally, his hoodie is really big on me. but i like how it fits me really big. i smell the fabric and smile because it smells exactly like Benny.

Benny reaches over and wraps his arms around my waist lifting me off the ground. he carries me over to his bed and throws me down. "yup, still light as a feather." he winks.

He grabs his TV remote and turns on Stranger Things. he then sits next to me on the bed. i lean over and lay my head down on his chest as he wraps one of his arms around me and holds my hand with the other.

"i-" i whisper but cut myself off. my heart started beating faster as i realize what i almost said. i almost told him i love him. it was way too soon. while we have been together only a week, we hold such a deep connection. from a friendship that goes back to when we were only months old. we've told each other that we love each other before. but it was always in that best friend sort of way.

"hm?" he looks at me, waiting for me to finish the sentence.

"i," i breath out, "i love this show. i'm so excited we finally get to watch season three." i save myself. now was just not the right time.

-

i wake up in Benny's arms. when i look at Benny i realize that he had fallen asleep too. i turn my attention to the TV and realize that Stranger Things was still playing, but i didn't recognize the episode and i realize we must've fallen asleep around the fourth episode and it was playing ahead.