Chapter 11

As I pushed through the double glass doors of the main science building, it was hard to keep my jaw from dropping in amazement. The entire lobby was white: the walls, the floor, the furniture. Enormus glass panels on either side of the room looked into atriums filled with exotic and colorful plants, juxtaposing the starkness of the interior. A large, circular reception desk sat in the center of the room, a wall rising up behind it that bore the science department's logo and framed by an artificial waterfall.

I slowly walked up to the lady sitting at the curved desk—Tina as her nametag indicated. The woman had an extremely petite frame, and a slicked back auburn ponytail that sat perched on top of her head. She was very pretty, but her nose was long and sloping, and somehow reminded me of a duck. Tina was engrossed in whatever she was typing, but stopped to looked up as I approached, pushing her glasses up on her nose.

"Um, hi. I'm Emma Scott. I—"

The lady cut me off with a big smile. “—Doctor Scott's daughter! We've been expecting you! We received your information and resume when you were recruited."

Well, that was slightly creepy. They had predicted I'd intern with the science labs?

"Uh, yes," I said, slightly flustered. "I was just wondering if you had any internships available."

Tina nodded furiously the entire time I was speaking, her glasses pushing themselves back down her nose each time her head bounced up and down. She reached underneath the desk and pulled out a white lab coat and a plexiglass badge, pushing them across the desk towards me. "Of course! Your file indicates that you want to specialize in medicinal botany. We currently have a project underway that needs all the help they can get." Tina stood up and walked around to the front of the desk, gesturing for me to follow her as she began to head down the hallway. Even with heels on, she only came up to my nose.

As Tina click-clacked down the corridor, my eyes widened at the amazing building. Like the atrium, the rooms were made almost entirely of glass, most only containing one solid wall. They all ranged in size, and were filled with white lab tables, hundreds of instruments and machines and specimens scattered across the surfaces. Dozens of scientists in white coats buzzed around, carrying various experiments in their gloved hands. I felt like I had died and gone to science heaven; it was the most beautiful labratory I'd ever seen.

Tina pushed through the door to a medium-sized room about halfway down the hall. Six people sat inside, working busily at their stations, with their faces shoved into microscopes.

"Alright, this is the lab for the vaccination project," Tina said. "You'll be helping this team until the project is completed."

A tall woman who looked to be in her early thirties walked over to us. She had stick straight blonde hair, which was pulled up into a high ponytail, and large brown eyes that shone from behind her boxy glasses. She beamed when she saw us and stuck out her right hand in introduction.

"I'm Dr. Truman, the lead researcher on the project! You must be Emma," she said excitedly.

I nodded, still confused by the fact that everyone seemed to know who I was.

"We're so glad to have you here! I know you haven't had any formal expierence in the field yet, but your education base on the subjects is extremely valuable and you should pick up very quickly."

My cheeks flushed pink. "Thank you," I said, looking down at the floor momentarily. Compliments always made me feel awkward.

"Dr. Truman will show you around the lab and explain all the procedures," Tina chirped. "It was great to meet you!" She waved goodbye and bounced out of the room.