Chapter 15

I was sitting at the counter eating dinner by myself later that night, and mum and dad were still at work. The rest of her day had been fairly uneventful; I had continued helping Dr. Truman and her team on the virus case, but none of the plants we tested that afternoon had possessed any helpful medicinal qualities. The only other exciting thing that had occurred was that I discovered her internship at the labs was paid, but then again, most of them were in Eos.

I tapped the bottom right corner of my plexipad that was sitting on the counter to turn the page of the book I was reading. I heard one of the partition doors in the hallway slide open, and Austin came out of his room and headed for the front door.

"Where are you going? It's your turn for dishes!" I asked. Austin stopped and sighed.

"I'm going over to Leah's." I rolled her eyes. Austin hadn't been anywhere but Leah's since he met her. Not that I was complaining; I liked Leah, and it was nice that Austin had such a... good friend.

"So are you gonna ask her out?" I teased, feeling daring. After all, it was my job as a sibling. Austin and I may have had a different relationship than most brothers and sisters, but a good old sibling rivalry was still an occasional event.

Austin was caught off guard and stuttered. I giggled, "Well it's obvious you like her! You've been spending so much time with her!" He scowled at me, muttering something under his breath.

"Well I wouldn't be the only one who likes someone, now would I? Who's that guy I've seen you around anyways?" he retorted with a smirk. I cringed as I heard the front door close as my brother was speaking, and my dad walked into the kitchen. Why did he have to come home at that exact moment? And how on earth did Austin know about Will?

"What guy?" Dad practically demanded, giving both Austin and I the death stare. It was my turn to stutter.

"I... He.. And..." I gave up trying, and shot Austin a look.

"Emma has a thing for one of the soldiers," Austin revealed in a sing-song voice. Dad's eyes practically bugged out of his head.

"Let me get this straight. There is no guy. You're only seventeen!" he almost yelled.

My mouth hung open. "I'll be eighteen in a couple months! And--gah! Nevermind!" I said in defeat and slumped down on the barstool, dad giving me a satisfied look before stomping out of the room.

"Well I'm off to Leah's!" Austin chirped, winking at me. I glared at him and mouthed a 'thanks a lot' as he skipped out the door, almost running into mum on the way out. Mum walked into the kitchen and started to prepare some dinner for herself. Glancing up, she saw me with my head in my hands sitting at the counter.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" she asked, worry in her voice. I looked up at her and gave an exasperated sigh.

"Austin had to open his big mouth about this guy I like, and then dad walked in and launched into his protective father mode," I mumbled. Mum sighed knowingly and walked over to sit next to me, rubbing her hand up and down my back.

"You know, my dad was a lot like your father," she told me, smiling a little at her memories. "I'm surprised Daniel ever made it passed the first date with me! Every boy in town was scared to death of your grandfather," she recounted with a laugh. I looked up at her with glassy eyes.

"Really?" I sniffled.

Mum nodded. "It gets better though. Mostly."

"Mum!" I whined, and we both laughed.

"But really. All your dad is trying to do is keep you from getting hurt. He's not gonna let some silly boy come steal his girl and break her heart. He loves you too much for that," she reassured me with a small smile.

"Thanks, mum," I squeaked, giving her a hug. She kissed the top of my head.

After a minute we pulled apart, and mum broke into a grin. "So who is he?" she asked with a laugh, and I blushed.

"Well his name is Will, and I think he might be the first friend I've ever had..."