Chapter Two: Heads, Tails

It's been awhile since I updated this story and since I'm having trouble with A Case of Collins, here's a chapter! Hope you like it :)

--VIVKELLER23

---------------------

She'd never been a very good liar

She'd never been a very good liar. Sure, she could tell a story and elaborate so well, she even sold herself on it for a minute. But then, the guilt set in until it felt like every breath she took was a thorn trying to deflate the snowball of lies she was going to have to keep track of. When she told a lie and someone bought it, she cost herself precious sleep wondering when the person she'd lied to would finally figure out the truth.

The guilty, lying version of herself wasn't a pretty sight.

Which was why whenever a situation called for anything other than the truth, Oliver was always there to help keep Remington from spiraling.

During the drive over, Oliver coached her on what to tell her brother if he asked her questions. The story was that her parents were going on an extended vacation and she had wanted to spend that time with her brother rather than alone.

As she walked into the elevator leading up to the top floor of the apartment complex, she prayed that her brother would be drunk enough to let her in without asking too many questions. When Brutus drank, he did things he later regretted. Things that made Remington question if they truly were related. But right now, a drunk brother was her only hope to find a place to stay.

The ding of the doors opening shook Remington out of her thoughts. She took a deep breath as she stepped out onto the carpeted floor with her suitcase right behind her.

Oliver let out a hair-raising whistle. "Your brother sure landed on his feet after high school," she observed, looking around.

She'd never really thought about it, but it was true. She couldn't deny that despite having the same last name, her brother's lifestyle was a world apart from hers.

"It's strange," Remington admitted, as she stared at the closed white door separating her from the party. "I've only seen him twice since he left home after ditching high school."

It almost felt like she was trespassing.

"Relax, Remi," her friend told her with a quick hug. "He's your brother. He'll want you here with him when you've got nowhere else to go."

Those words, and the fact that despite everything, Brutus was still her brother, was what gave her the strength to straighten her shoulders and face that door. If Oliver hadn't been present, Remington might have bolted.

A blond version of the Hulk with wavy hair opened the door wearing swim trunks and a grin.

"Yo, who ordered the strippers?"

Had she had the time, Remington might have allowed herself to feel surprise at the words that came out of the big oaf's mouth. She might have had the chance to educate the guy on why she preferred the term exoctic dancers, too. Maybe she would have been outraged at the way his eyes ran over her like he was assessing whether she'd put on a good show.