Pyro's cooking show episode 1: Wendigo

The next day.

Jinai and I were sitting in the library, reading up on the Wendigo.

"Well I guess escape is out now, Inska confiscated our maps." Jinai said.

"Uh huh." I said while scouring through the book.

"Now what are we gonna do? Last night was the only opportunity we had to leave!" Jinai said as he began pacing.

"We wait. There might be another opportunity soon. That's strange, there are pages missing from the book." I said.

"Yeah well- wait what?" He asked.

"Look. Any instructions on how to summon and enchant a Wendigo have been removed." I said while showing him the book.

"Damn, that's not good. Who was the last person to check it out?" Jinai asked

"I don't know. All records have been removed from the book as well. The same thing goes with the experimental enchanting book. You see normally with enchanting, you sacrifice one thing to power up the other. Power for defence, speed for stamina, and vitality for wisdom. But this, this was different. This guy had high power, defence, speed AND stamina. It could just be that we don't know as much about demons as we'd like to think." I said. "Ooh, it's just about time. It should almost be finished marinating. I'll see you after class."

I headed out of the library, and to one of my private sheds. I quickly snuck through the hallways and out a window to a nearby courtyard. I've got some meat marinating inside a shed I've camouflaged. Except there was someone waiting there for me.

"Where do you think you're going?" Inska said.

"Getting supper ready." I said.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" She asked

I laughed at her.

"I already went to my mandatory classes this week." I said.

"Really? Because you haven't attended to any of mine, and as far as I can tell, you've only been marked present twice this week." She said

"Eh, it's an agreement I have with the headmaster. I keep the school free of pests, and he lets me skip classes. He only asks that I attend two a week. So I humour him." I said. "Now if you'll excuse me I've got some food to prepare."

I gently pushed passed her, and moved the bushes I had covering the shed.

"How do you expect to graduate if you don't attend class?" She asked.

"Oh boy, you really don't know do you? I mean I KNEW you were new, but this is, wow. Apparently you don't keep up with current events. Or, well at least the past 13 or so years of history." I said as I unlocked the shed. It's pretty big, enough to store various meats I've gathered from hunts. There's a firepit, a fridge and a smoker inside. I took the Wendigo meat out of the marinade. There's also a camera inside so I can stream cooking tutorials to YouTube. I turned on the camera while Inska just looked on in shock. "Mmmm, they don't have much on them, but it is just so tender it practically melts in your mouth. The bones make good soup too. But that'll be for another day. Now after letting the meat marinade for about 4 hours, you want to slow roast it over an open fire. You could use a barbecue, but the an open fire adds a Smokey flavour to it."

I stuck the meat on a rotisserie stick, and lit the fire. I stuck a pan under the stick and overtop of the fire.

"Now you'll want to make sure you catch any juices that leak out, or any meat that falls off, you don't want to waste any of it. You're just gonna keep turning until the outside is a nice brown colour, like a pork chop almost." I said.

After finishing up the meat I took it off the stick and set it on a plate.

"Now my personal choice of side is mashed potatoes, but it could also go well with-"

"Okay Babish, if you're so smart why don't you tell me why you think you can get away with all of this?" Inska said

"First of all, do NOT interrupt me while I'm preparing a meal. Second I was getting to that. Sorry folks, that's all for today. Join me tomorrow in my lesson on preparing Wendigo Soup!" I said before shutting off the camera.

"You use school WIFI to stream YouTube Videos!?" She asked

"I have my own private WIFI. Anyways, when I was about, 4, ish, the demon war was at its peak, and it eventually got to the point where both sides were tired of fighting with each other. There was all that bloodshed, and there was no real end to it in sight. So, both sides came to an agreement. The demon's would halt their advance, and the humans would keep their most powerful warrior locked away on a hidden island." I said

"YOU? But you were only four.... ish." She said.

I shrugged.

"I had already killed 3 dragons, two fire giants, a Lich and a Kraken. The demons were terrified of me." I said

"But the treaty didn't last. There are still demon attacks all over." Inska said.

"Small insurrections, nothing worth going to war over. At least that's what everyone else figures." I said.

"What do you think?" She asked

"I think I haven't had a real fight since I was four. Anyways, they can't let me graduate because the final exam takes place in the Jungles of Chult. Which is FAR away from here. Last time I was there I brought down some wannabe death god called Acererak. So I can skip classes as often as I want, and I get VIP treatment." I said.

"So then your escape plans-"

"All for my amusement. It's more for Jinai actually, he's got so much potential, and the school's just holding him back so I don't get bored. Here's another fun fact, there's a Turtle Dragon circling these waters that tries to prevent me from leaving by boat, I tried a couple of times, every time I kill it, it comes back. Eventually I got bored with that too and befriended it instead." I said. "To be honest, I hate it. I haven't gotten a real challenge or, had any kind of fun in years. All the other students are terrified of me.

"You make videos on how to literally prepare and cook demons. You scare everyone." She said blatantly.

"Human food just doesn't do it for me. I can't explain why for the life of me. Still, we have another problem. I think another student summoned those demons here. There are missing pages from some of the library books." I said.

"I heard. The headmaster is having some of the more, experienced teachers look into it." She said. She had a disappointed look on her face.

"There's nothing wrong with inexperience. Demon hunting is dangerous, you're the first real teacher we've had for the subject in a long time, most of the times I'd teach it once in a while, but, well you can imagine how that turned out." I said.

"Yes, your unorthodox method of hunting. Bare handed and shirtless." She said

"Hey if Beowulf can do it, so can I." I said as she got up to leave.

"Well, I'll leave you to it then. Are you planning to sneak out again tonight?" She said.

I nodded.

"My gut tells me there was more to last night's little, problem, than we know." I said.

"Good luck then." She said, before leaving.

I then ate supper, and prepared for the night to come.