31

~July 1985~

With the Live Aid performance inching closer and closer, John had suggested moving into a new rehearsal space. We were all getting a bit cramped in the closed off studio, so I had managed to find a much more open space for them to keep working at. There were grand ceilings with open windows, all radiating bright light inside.

Everything else had been going better than expected. I was genuinely glad to be back, working with the boys again. They still acted the same way as they did many years ago while we were stuck together in their tiny van, driving across the countryside of the United States. From time to time, John and Brian would bring in their kids for the day, and Freddie would occasionally bring in the cats. I felt myself get excited every time I headed to rehearsal, not knowing what to anticipate for each day.

This rehearsal, however, I could tell something was wrong. These past few weeks, they had been working so well together and sounded amazing. But today, something was off with Freddie. He was giving up on notes, or was forced due to the scratchiness of his throat. Brian and John would shoot each other concerned looks every time Freddie messed up since the occurrence was quite rare.

Finally, none of them could take it anymore. John suggested that we wrap up for the day, which I was not completely against. With the day off, I would be able to actually get home and clean my house for the first time in weeks.

"Sorry, I sound like shit. You all are lovely and good. It's been a while. My throat feels like a vulture's crotch," Freddie said.

"We've still got a week."

"We'll get there."

"Yeah, we're in a good place Fred. You just need a bit of rest, that's all." I began packing up my things, slinging my purse over my shoulder. Placing my jacket around my shoulders, I yanked my hair that got caught in the hoodie.

"Yeah." Freddie was the only one who was stationed in his place. He was glancing down at the ground, thinking deeply about something. But I dismissed it, presuming that if something really was on his mind, he would ask for help.

I walked over towards Miami, discussing some finalized details for Live Aid. Something he noted to me, which I was not excited about, was that I would have to get to the venue extra early the morning of to make sure everything was in place.

"Uh, Elizabeth?" I turned towards Roger, who was looking up towards me while wrapping up some microphone cords.

"Yeah?"

"Um, you know, there's a great little restaurant down the road. Would you maybe want to head down there?" He was trying his best not to look me in the eyes when he asked me to lunch.

"Uh, sure. What the hell."

"You know, I am really starving. Would you mind if I joined the two of you?" Brian asked, stepping in between the two of us. He looked at the both of us, waiting for some kind of an answer. When he turned towards Roger, I saw him shoot Brian a bit of a glare, which only made me laugh.

"I mean, I don't mind you joining us. What do you think Rog?"

"Why don't you tag along Bri? The more the merrier!" he said in a bit of a sarcastic tone. I didn't understand why this lunch was only exclusive to the two of us, but we had been working so much recently, we barely had any time to catch up with each other.

"Can I come along too? Or is this some kind of exclusive thing?" John asked, pushing his way into our little circle.

"Sure. You know, now that I think about it, why don't we just invite everyone in our entire families to join us? That would be a hoppin' group right there, right?" I would've taken Roger's little outburst more seriously if he didn't look completely ridiculous. He also needs to work on his sarcasm if he wants us to understand what he's trying to say.