Forever

Jake had discovered that donated blood tasted just as good as regular human blood. He was now trying to figure out whether animal blood would sustain a vampire. I wasn't quite ready to try his new methods yet. Old habits die hard. 

I finally took Jake to my favorite place, a mountain that was a five day drive outside of our city. When we were at the top, we were above the clouds. It looked like another world. Jake had turned into a daylighter like me, so he was just fine in the sun. The sparks that came off his skin were a bright gold. They danced across his skin like the sunbeams that caused them.

A month after Jake had become one of us, he found a letter from Lexi, his old girlfriend, in the mailbox of the apartment he used to live in. 

Dear Jake, 
You're last letter sounded strange. I'm worried about you. I'm coming to visit you. Everyone here misses you, including me. Your parents have stopped arguing, but there's news that you're missing. Where are you? What's happening?
Love from,
Lexi

After reading it, Jake looked at me, worried. "You'll stay with me, right? Help me with Lexi and everything else?" I smiled at him, love in my silent, still heart. 

"Forever, Jake. Forever." And we looked out at the sunrise, ready to face whatever else came, as long as we were together.

Because fate and destiny didn't control us. We were writing our own stories. We were vampires, Jake and I. Immortal. Beautiful. Dangerous. Death. Life. Love. Forever.