Blood

When the last rays of sun finally vanished beneath the horizon, I met up with Jake. We walked in silence for a little while, and then the questions started. This time, they were ordinary get-to-know-you ones, but the first was a bit unusual.

"Ashleigh, do you go to school?" Jake asked.

"Of course," I replied. Lie, but all humans of my supposed age went to school. 

"Well, that's funny, because I've never seen you there."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Well, you told me that you lived in this area," he explained brightly. "So that means you go to the local high school, there isn't another one around for miles. But I've never seen you at school."

"Maybe we just never meet" I suggested. Usually humans want to believe the easiest and most mundane explanation. However, Jake looked at me intensely, then shook his head.

"I don't believe that I could go to the same school as you and not see you."

Jake's sense of when I was lying was uncanny.

We passed another human jogging. Of course, things had to go wrong.

The jogger tripped over a rock and fell down onto the gravel path. The scent of blood filled the air. I couldn't turn away.

Forgetting all reason and logic, forgetting that Jake was watching, I sprang. The blood, the promise of quenching my thirst after denying it for so long, ruled my mind completely. I brought my hand down on this nameless human's neck, snapping it. Then I bit.

The blood, the blood was glorious. Heat radiated through every part of my marble body. I sucked the human dry, reveling in the taste of it. It was so rarely that I got blood that was truly alive, pumping through the body through exertion or excitement - most often, my prey was asleep. I finished my meal and looked up, covered in the human's beautiful blood, to see a wide pair of blue eyes staring at me. I snapped out of the hunting trance. This was Jake, and even though his blood smelled... I didn't have words to describe it adequately. 

Jake was still staring at me, shocked. I approached him slowly, the way a human would approach a startled creature. Why was he still here? Why hadn't he run? I was a vampire. He had seen that, plain and clear. And even though he should run, it would be safer, better for him to run, I was glad he stayed. 

"Jake?" I asked tentatively. 

He blinked, then said, "I knew there was something off about you."