Friend or Foe?

Shitshitshit.

Kai glanced at the box in his hand and set it down, quickly slipping deeper into the shadows. The door swung up, spilling a long beam of light onto the floor. Kai held his breath, smushing himself flatter against a shelf.

The cop walked in, humming to himself. Although the area where Kai had been was hidden from the view of the large window, it was right in the path of the doorway. So the cop saw the box on the ground almost immediately. "Huh?" He walked closer to investigate. Kai narrowed his eyes as he calculated his chances. He didn't even dare to breathe too hard; after all, the cop was only a few feet away. The cop in question looked at the box then bent over to pick it up. With his back to Kai, Kai took the opportunity to inch towards the door. The file he wanted was clutched in his hand and the cop was cleaning up for him. It was time to leave. What he didn't expect was that the station had a cat.

Kai felt something brush up against his ankle. Startled, he looked down to see a grey-brown striped tabby. At least he thought it was a tabby. In the dark, it was too hard to distinguish. It rubbed its head on his leg, letting out a tiny but distinct 'meoow'. The cop started to turn and Kai hurriedly stepped forward, his arm shooting out as he hit the cop on the neck hard enough to knock him out. He grabbed him as he started to fall, his gloved hands fisting in the signature blue shirt. Gently, he lowered him to the ground. When he woke up, he'd most likely think that he'd passed out and hit his head on the way down.

Kai reached up, straightening the teetering box and crept back towards the propped open door of the archive.

'Meow'. Kai smiled, crouching to stroke a hand through the cat's soft fur. It purred, rubbing docily in his hand.

"You're the lookout, huh?" Kai's heart clenched as he nearly overdosed from cuteness. "Well, buddy I got to go. Maybe I'll see you around." The cat ambled over to the unconscious officer, watching with piercing eyes as Kai checked the hallway then stepped out, the door slowly swinging shut behind him.

◆◇◆◇◆

Kai woke in warm bliss, his right arm tingling and numb. After a few moments, Kai peeled open bleary eyes, blinking as sunlight flooded his vision. He shifted but a weight on his right side refused to let him move. Kai turned his head, finding Quinlan sprawled on his stomach, pillowing his head on his arm.

After managing to extract his arm, Kai sat up, only to find paper strewn over the bed. There were a few on the floor too. A couple held hideous doodles from when Quinlan had gotten bored. Kai groaned, running a hand through his hair as his memories came rushing back.

[LAST NIGHT]

Kai held onto the file as he crept back to the conference room, his grip getting tighter and tighter with every passing second. Part of him wanted to tear it apart, certain that there must be a clue that confirmed his suspicions. The Crimson Moon wasn't the culprit. The rational part of his mind screamed that he was getting his hopes up for nothing. It had been three years; did he really expect anything new to pop up.

'But there was.' Kai thought. 'The perfume, the notes, the hints. It's all new.'

When they got home, Quinlan pulled Kai into his room before he could protest. Reluctantly he indulged him and stayed. On the bed, Kai stared at the folder in his hands. He was almost scared to open it.

Without a word, Quinlan pulled him into a hug. "It'll be okay." Kai grumpily pushed him away. He flipped open the folder, taking out the wad of paper. His eyes scanned the pages, reading information he already knew. As he flipped through more of the packet, Kai became agitated. It was just telling him information he already knew! Even prepared, Kai couldn't stop his heart from crashing to his feet. He shouldn't have let his hopes get up. Stupid.