When You Try to Make Friends

Kai woke up to the feeling of something on his lips. It was slightly wet. He probed with his tongue and tasted something slightly sweet. He groggily opened his eyes, blinking up at the smiling form of Gabriel, propped up on one elbow and trying to feed him a half-squashed blueberry.

Kai parted his lips, using his tongue to scoop the blueberry into his mouth. Gabriel froze. Kai shyly continued to lick the juices from his fingers.

"...Kitten."

"Hm?"

"..." Gabriel's gaze was dark. Kai smiled teasingly like he had no idea what was going on.

"Where are my pancakes?" Gabriel slowly retracted his hand, his fingers clenching into a fist. Just now...that... He cleared his throat.

"They've...become inedible." Kai smiled ruefully. He'd thought he had smelled something burnt. Kai looked to the side and his expression became a little strange. When did he come into the bedroom? Clearly he'd fallen asleep on the couch. His stomach was a bit uncomfortable from hunger and it showed on his face.

"How do you feel?" Gabriel asked, a hand sliding onto his waist. Kai hesitated.

"Fine." His body was just a bit sore. The concussion really had been minor; he didn't even feel dizzy anymore. "I'm hungry."

"Alright. I'll get someone to deliver some. You still want pancakes?" Kai nodded his head and suddenly felt Gabriel's palm on his cheek, his thumb stroking tenderly on his cheekbone. Kai leaned into the touch, wondering, once again, about their relationship.

Gabriel pulled out his phone and dialed a number. IT rang three times before the person on the other end picked up. "Yes, boss?" Gabriel coughed suddenly and Kai looked over in confusion. The person continued to ramble. "The window really wasn't my fault," He defended. "It was Andrew's handiwork, you know..." Met with Gabriel's silence, the person hurriedly stopped themselves. "Is there anything you require?"

"Go to the breakfast shop on 12th street and get some pancakes."

"Ah..." The person was slightly confused. How come his boss requested such a thing? This call...wasn't about work?

"Blueberry ones, please." Kai said quietly. The person's ears were sharp from years of experience and immediately heard another voice that wasn't his boss's. He hurriedly checked the ID of the caller which plainly displayed his boss's name.

"..." Such a clear and limpid voice! No way...

"Make them blueberry pancakes," Gabriel's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Wait boss,-" Before he could question him, Gabriel unceremoniously hung up the phone. "......"

Kai laughed slightly. Gabriel and this person...they seemed to have a good relationship. Gabriel drew him closer, tucking his head into the crook of Kai's neck and being mindful of his injuries. Kai felt Gabriel's lips brush his neck and he couldn't help but arch his neck away, cheeks glowing red.

After a few minutes of internal debating, Kai spoke up. "What-what are we?" he asked softly. The kisses, the hugs, and the cuddles. What did it all mean? Kai's heart fluttered in excitement but he quickly tamped it down. Gabriel wasn't like him; involved in gang life. What if he endangered him because of their relationship? His situation wasn't the same as all those years ago.

There was a silence; unexpectedly, Gabriel was thinking the same thing. He raised his head to look at Kai seriously. "What do you want us to be?"

Kai's emotions were conflicted. "I...don't know." He concealed the true feelings in his heart, but Gabriel caught the way he looked anywhere but at him. He thought for a moment, then asked lowly,