Chapter 12

Derek wasn't a big fan of luck; it was never on his side. If it had been, a lot of shit that happened in his life could've been stopped, prevented or never happened to begin with. Even with Stiles by his side their luck was going to run out, especially since he could feel the moon rising.

Safe to say he was right, after they had eaten, Derek had set them on the path that lead north, he was keen on sticking to his plan. Occasionally Derek would guide them to a small source of water so Stiles could get his fill, then they'd rest for a bit and continue on, they did this for about two days. They were fortunate enough not to run into any trouble or traps.

He hunted small animals for them; He'd clean whatever he caught just like his parents had taught him so long ago. Derek made sure to do it well away from the curious eyes of his lone human pack member, he knew how Stiles was with the sight of blood.

Throughout those days Derek would do his best to keep the teens mind occupied, by making him use some of his senses when they took breaks, Stiles had complained at first but as the hours dragged on, it seemed to help with his restlessness. Usually just before they decided to stop for the night Stiles would ask him to repeat an exercise they'd done before. Derek wondered if the teen did it to help with his focus, or maybe it was to help him relax just enough to get what little sleep they could afford. The wolf figured that he was using it as a means to avoid talking to each other, there was a lot between them they still needed to work through, and Stiles didn't seem set on speaking first...which was strange since he rarely shut up to begin with. Derek knew that if they were going to start working together-properly, that he was most likely going to be the one to bite the bullet.

The sun had begun set on their fifth day when Derek had picked the sound of a heartbeat that wasn't their own, it didn't belong to any animal, it was to steady and slow.

The wolf paused making the human behind him pause as well.

They were pretty far away, and it was only one, which set him on edge even more.

He heard something pop and not a second later he gripped Stiles' shirt and shoved him backwards. The ground broke apart close to where Stiles had been standing. Not hesitating Derek grabbed ahold of the teens arm and ran in the opposite direction of the shooter, practically dragging Stiles behind him.

"Derek!" Stiles shouted from behind him, trying to get his attention, but the wolf kept running.

"DEREK!" The teen yelled louder, making the older man jerk to a stop.

He looked behind him and saw that Stiles was panting heavily, his heels digging into the ground beneath them. Looking even farther behind he could make out gashes in the earth where the teen must have dug his feet in, attempting to stop the wolf from moving any further.

"Stiles, we can't wait for them to catch up to us!" Derek hissed in frustration.

"Okay, would you stop and think for a second?! I know you a little off with the moon rising, and your instincts are all over the place, but I need you to focus okay?" Stiles bit out as he wrestled his arm from Derek's hold, then he cupped the wolfs face in his hands, making sure he had all his attention.

"That, back there," He said as he gestured behind him. "That wasn't a warning shot, okay. It was botched. They aimed in my general direction purposely so you'd take initiative and protect the only pack member you have with you, they're herding us, playing on your instincts so we'd run right into their trap, they want to get us before the moon rises, it'll be harder for them to take you down once that happens They want the thrill, but they know if they drag it out to long things could go to shit real quick."