chapter three

“It happened this morning, around four a.m., Pacific Time.” Darren Redding declared with a grim expression, “Made it to world news. Everyone’s heard about it by now.”

A couple of the other detectives in the office nodded and wrote things down.

Bridget bit her lip and leaned into the doorframe. “So the attack is still unclear, or do we know for sure it was some kind of explosive?”

Darren glanced at his files, and then back up at her, “According to the reports, an older man by the name of Harvey Winters was found at the scene, under the influence, and his car overturned. The location of the explosive seems to be targeted at his vehicle; but no one knows for sure.”

“You said Mr. Winter’s car propelled towards a supportive pillar of a large bridge in Southern Russia, correct?”

He nodded.

“Even a mac truck couldn’t topple an entire bridge by knocking into one support. The explosion is still not confirmed, so it could be anything; oil fire, engine defect, or even a bomb purposely planted within the vehicle.”

“Thing is, authorities found no traces of traditional explosives of any kind.”

One of the younger detectives spoke up, “There was an explosion large enough to kill three hundred people, sink two hundred cars, and overthrow a two mile bridge into the ocean. I think we’re dealing with something nuclear.”

Bridget frowned. “But who would specifically target one old man to do their dirty work? Besides, tearing up a relatively minimal area of Russia seems a bit pointless to me, unless this attacker had some extensive motive.”

“Exactly. Perhaps you’re right though; maybe we should be looking for a larger motive. Does this attacker plan to pinpoint other areas of the world?” Darren remarked, staring up at his United States wall map.

Another officer spoke up, “I think our questions on this matter will just go to waste. This is terrorism we’re talking about; not a local car robbery.” There was a sneer in his voice.

Bridget sighed. “Everyone is valuable in this kind of situation, whether they live thousands of mile away, or just a block. You never know when the average person may come in handy.”

“This is world peace we’re discussing.” The officer shot back.

Darren gave him a hard look. “Miss Briggs is right. This situation concerns everyone.”

That statement seemed to create an awkward silence, so the group of detectives began to exit the Chief’s office with muttered goodbyes.

Bridget walked farther into the office, her mind recalling the previous week when she saved the nameless woman from a car wreck. She realized that the man attempting to drug the woman could be playing a role in the Russian attack. Very unlikely, but a possibility. Both the victims involved were driving vehicles, and both contained evidence of an explosion.

“You look like you know something I don’t know.” Darren smirked, sitting back in his desk chair.

She smiled pensively. “Maybe I do. Is there any way I could get the files for this Harvey Winters? I think I may be able to figure something, at least.”

“Sure,” He answered, sliding the folder across to her, “this is a second copy.”

“Thanks,” Bridget replied, flipping it open with an absent eye. “I have this bad feeling whoever planned this attack is planning another one as we spe-“

She was cut off by the sound of someone yelling the Chief’s name in a somewhat impatient voice. Darren stood up and stalked to the door of his office. Bridget followed right behind him.