Boy by the Ocean

The blinding sun shining down on the shimmering sea. The soft sand crunching underneath his feet as he walks towards the shore.

This is his home. Ian's home. Caws from the seagulls flying overhead. Seashells scattered along the beach. The waves crashing in the distance.

Bucket and spade in hand as he makes his way, closer to the shore. Multiple seashells piling up in the bucket. Plonking down on the damp sand right where the water hits the surface.

The whole beach empty of human beings, except one. The scorching weather, plus the waves lightly flowing over Ian's legs makes him feel at ease. At peace.

A small smile reaches the tanned boy's face as a mild breeze blows through his chestnut hair. He tips his bucket over, letting the shells be carried away by the incoming waves. After the seashells disappeared into the ocean Ian laid on the sand, closed his eyes and listened to the movement surrounding him.

~

"Ian!" Someone called from afar. Ocean blue eyes flickered open to see the sunset going into the ocean far away from him.

How long had he been asleep?

Ian turns his head around to find the source that woke him.

"It's dinner time! Mum has been looking for you." Veronica, Ian's older sister called.

"I'm coming!" Ian yelled back. Slowly lifting himself from his resting position. Trudging across the sand, climbing over the hill to get back to his house. One last look over his shoulder at the beautiful sunset over the ocean, before retreating back inside.

257 words