Chapter 2

Zuko woke up early the next morning. He was used to getting up before dawn back when he was on his ship. It was just a habit that he hadn't quite gotten out of. He got out of bed, did his morning stretches, and quietly made his way out of the room, trying not to wake up the others.

Once he was outside, he walked past their campfire from the night before. One flick of his wrist set the logs aflame once more. He went over to his supplies and got out a cooking pot. He thought he would be nice and try to make breakfast for everyone.

Slowly but surely Zuko stirred a pot of porridge over one fire, while a tea kettle steamed over another. He had always found mornings to be very relaxing. The crew wouldn't be up for several more hours, so it was normally just him and his uncle. Uncle would make them tea and porridge, just like this, and he would tell Zuko about his latest pai sho game. Those really were the days...

"I'm surprised to see any of you kids up this early." Zuko looked up and his eyes widened with fear. Hakoda took a seat across from him, "Mind if I join you?"

"N-no, sir..." Zuko went back to his stirring, trying to pretend that he wasn't in this situation.

Hakoda could sense his stress, "Smells good, what're you cooking?"

"Porridge and tea... sir!" he quickly added the last word onto the statement.

Hakoda laughed softly, "No need for the formalities. You can just call me Hakoda."

"Ok..." Zuko continued stirring.

"So, what kind of tea is it?" He was really trying his hardest to get the kid to open up. After all, he had risked his own freedom to help him escape. It was the least he could do.

"It's Jasmine sir..." he replied quietly.

Hakoda chuckled, "What did I just tell you about calling me, sir?"

Zuko's eyes widened. "My apologies! I'm so sorry. Please forgive me..." he quickly gave him a bow.

His behavior deeply confused the water tribesman. "It's ok, don't worry about it..."

Zuko nodded, and they continued in silence until the others started to wake up.

"Wow Zuko, you make good tea." Suki complimented.

"Thanks..." he looked down into the fire, "I had a good teacher..."

Hakoda was becoming more and more suspicious of Zuko's behavior. He would have to look into this further.

(A/N - Hey guys! :) Sorry, this chapter is kinda short. I hope you liked it. Flameo hotman!)