Chapter 4

"You need to be taught respect!"

Zuko woke up panting. Sweat was dripping from his brow, and he couldn't seem to catch his breath.

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" he grabbed at his hair and yanked as hard as he could. Tears were streaming from his eyes. "Stupid. Stupid... stupid..."

He laid back down on the bed and curled on his side. One would think that after having the same nightmare every night for the last three years, he would be used to it by now. But he would never get used to it.

As he laid there, it felt like his face had been burned all over again. He gingerly put a hand to his scar, and it was warm to the touch.

Several minutes passed, and it was clear that he wasn't going to be falling asleep again any time soon. He needed to burn some of this pent-up energy. Then maybe he could relax...

~time skip~

"Agggghh!" Zuko sent a large blast of flames flying out over the ravine. He was out of breath from his late-night workout, but he still wasn't tired enough to fall asleep. He would need to keep working until he was utterly exhausted.

"Not good enough."

"Azula is better."

"Lucky to be born."

"Banished."

"Traitor."

"Stop it! Stop it! STOP IT!"

He fell to his knees and grabbed his hair once again. Why wouldn't the voices just leave him alone?! Just for one night! Please... Sobs racked his body as the words of torment continued to plague his mind.

~time skip~

Hakoda had woken with a strange feeling that something was out of place. A warrior at heart, he followed his instincts and went to see what was wrong.

He first checked on the kids to make sure that they were safe. All of them were asleep in their beds. All except for one. Hakoda would be ashamed to admit that when he first saw that Zuko's bed was empty, he thought that he might have betrayed them again. However, he quickly wiped that thought from his mind. Zuko had changed. That was very clear. But where was he?

Hakoda left the main temple and walked outside. He went past the campfire and tiptoed past a sleeping Appa and Momo. Finally, he reached the courtyard from earlier. And that's where he found him.

~time skip~

Zuko has lost track of how long he had been sitting there crying. If Azula could see him now, she would ridicule him endlessly. Why was he so weak?

"Because you were a mistake." The voice of his father echoed in his mind. "Why do you think I had Azula? Because I knew that you would never be able to make it as Fire Lord."

"Go away..." he muttered quietly.

"You are a worthless and helpless child! I should have killed you when I had the chance!" It continued.

"Go away!" He said a little louder.

"You are a disgrace!" it felt like his head was going to explode.

"Zuko...?"

"I said GO AWAY!!!" he screamed and lashed out with his flames.

"Agh!" Hakoda jumped back just before any serious damage could be done. He may have lost an eyebrow or two, but he'd survive.

At that moment, Zuko came back to his senses and realized what he had done. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I promise I won't do it again! Please, don't... please don't do it..."

"Do what?" Hakoda tried to lay a hand on his shoulder, but Zuko flinched back violently. "It's ok... just tell me what's wrong."

"You... you look like... like him..." he stuttered.

"What?" Hakoda was more confused than before.

Zuko quickly got up and ran off without saying another word.

Hakoda simply sighed and made his way back to his room. What had just happened...?

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading! Flamio Hotman!)