Chapter 4 Catching Up

Donut was in a small room, standing before a screen projecting the Counselor.

Counselor: Private Donut, we want to debrief you now that your tour at Blood Gulch is over.

Donut: Great! Wait. . . over?

Counselor: I'm just going to ask you some standard questions to rate your experience, and I will be filling out a form based un your response. Do you understand?

Donut: Yes, sir.

Counselor: All right, then let's begin. During your deployment, you were assigned to the Red team, is that correct?

Donut: That's right! You can tell by my lightish-red armor.

Counselor: I'm a bit confused. By "lightish red" . . . do you mean pink?

Donut: No, I mean lightish red.

Counselor: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Let's come back to this during the free-form period.

Donut: Okie dokie.

Counselor: Now, as to your experience in Blood Gulch, would you say it was. . . satisfactory, somewhat satisfactory, or unsatisfactory.

Donut: I would say. . . satisfactory.

Counselor: All right. Now I want you to look at this picture.

A picture appeared on the screen, one of the ruins the Reds and Blues arrived at after they supposedly time travelled.

Donut: Oh hey! I know where that is!

Counselor: Which of the following best describes this picture? Would you say it is, A: the new location where your team was assigned, B: the source of a mysterious energy reader. Or C-

Donut: That's just where we landed.

Counselor: . . . Where you landed? Can you elaborate?

Donut: Yeah, we were defusing a bomb by this guy Omega, but then the bomb went off and it was just a huge explosion that it totally threw us into the future, and we landed there in that place.

Counselor: I'm not sure I understand. . . the future?

Donut: Sarge said that since we were surrounded by ice when the bomb went off, and then it was all sand, the Ice Age must've ended, and that would've taken a REALLY long time. So, it must've pushed us into the future.

Counselor: I. . . don't have a check box for that, so I'm just going to write down "other."

Donut: Yeah, "other" works, I like other!

Counselor: Well, I suppose there's no reason to ask the rest of our questions. Thank you for a very. . . enlightening interview.

*Present*

Donut was up on his feet with South, Kaikaina, and Caboose.

Donut: So then after that, they transferred me to that new base. I guess we left before we were supposed to do what wanted us to.

Caboose: That's a pretty crazy story Donut.

South: It wasn't even cohesive, of course if was crazy!

Donut: But when I got there, all I got was the distress beacon from Tucker. It said to get Church, I think Tucker was captured. There was something there. Something scary.

Caboose: That sounds scary.

The Epsilon unit then made an odd sound.

Donut: Hey, this thing sure makes a racket.