V

 Princess Beatriz, it is truly a pleasure to be in pretense of your beauty" he said placing a kiss on my hand

Good lord

"Thank you" I said between gritted teeth pulling my hand away.

I did not know what had possessed my mother to think that man who be a decent suitor. His shirt was half open, he reeked of wine, a horrendous posture (which I knew she hated) and had the crookedest teeth, and oiliest hair. Even the maids were grimacing.

But then I noticed the golden threads in his jacket, the several rings on his fingers, and the huge diamond that was tucked inside of his shirt.

Of course.

Of course my mother would look at the gold, of course she would look at the title , of course she would only care about how high he was in society. Not if he was drunk everyday of the week. Not if he could treat me with half of the respect my father treated her with. Or if he could rule an entire country. No, she only had eyes for the gold and prowess.

I turned to my father with pleading eyes, almost begging him to say something. To kick him out of the castle for just thinking he could marry me. But my fathers face was straight eyeing him up and down then looking past him.

I sighed deeply letting my face fall slightly. This was my life now. This man was going to get what should be mine by birth. This dimwitted half man was going to rule my life and I had no say in it whatsoever.

And it was her fault.

I turned to where my mother was glaring daggers at her, this was all her doing, this was all her fault.

But she wasn't looking in my direction, instead she was eyeing the mans jewelry with happiness, not looking at the man himself.

"Do you wish to accompany us for supper?" Mother asked.

"It would be my greatest honor" he said looking just at me.

Mother snapped her fingers in the air.

"Ready the table!" She exclaimed not even turning to look at the maids.

The maids started to scurry away from the room before my mothers voice cut again.

"You! Guide Sir Camacho to his quarters?"

Camacho. Even the name sounded stupid.

"Y-yes my Queen" he maid said with a quivering voice, walking towards Sir Camacho

Camacho eyed the maid with a look I didn't even want to know the meaning of. They both left the room going into the corridors. I heard the clacking of shoes and saw my mother stand in front of me.

"Go change, and get rid of that sword" she said coldly.

This time I couldn't help but oblige. The glare she was sending was enough to make my hands shake.

"Yes mother" I whispered bowing my head in surrender.

I turned around on my heel walking off, I didn't make it ten steps away before I heard my fathers voice.

"You are not marrying our daughter off to that pig" he said sternly.

"I can't keep turning down suitors! This is the man she is going to marry and that's final" she spat.

"I will not allow it"

"It's not your choice. I already told his father the wedding date. Beatriz is marrying him wether she likes it or not."

"The man was drunk! What makes you think he'll take care of her?"

"I don't care if he takes care of her." She interrupted. "He has money and influence. That is all you should be worried about. I don't care what he does to her."

A silent tears streamed down my cheek as those words hit my ear.

I had always known my mother didn't exactly like me. That she didn't try to hide. But to know she didn't care what that man did to me. That she didn't care in the slightest what happened to me. That she only cared for the money.

This was going to happen. And there was nothing I could do to stop it.