Chapter 1: New Guy

Hello readers! This story is part of a series involving the Happy Accidents SasuSaku fanfiction published in February 2021. This story covers Ino Yamanaka's role as a district attorney who gets herself involved in far more than she needs to. Along the way, she uncovers information that could destroy everything she knows—about her family, her heritage, and her career. It's up to her and foreign operative Sai Gaka to uncover the truth and salvage the remains of her life.

This is an InoSai fanfic, with hints of SasuSaku and other couples. It will cross over with the other fanfic, so it's recommended you keep up with both, as Ino has been featured in that fic previously, and there will be additional plot details in there as well. Chapters will come out simultaneously on both stories as their plots progress, and there will be some crossover between the stories!

--------------------------------------------------

Whenever things happened around the office, Ino was usually one of the first people to find out about it. There was a reason they called her the gossip queen; she always, through some means or another, found out what was going on. Eyes and ears everywhere, as they said. It was a trait that had helped her not only in her social life but in her professional one too; if there were any information to be found and followed up on regarding a case, Ino would find it and have it investigated. It was the reason she was Konoha's District Attorney.

Lately, the only good gossip she'd been getting was best-friend gossip—little tidbits about her best friend and the hot cop she was shacking up with. Sakura would never love to hear that descriptor used for their relationship, but Ino knew that was the best way to put it. It was only a matter of time before that relationship went further and further. Admittedly, she found it entertaining: Sakura and Sasuke seemed to have this tendency to dance around one another, just out of reach, like they were taunting each other. It was both entertaining and deeply frustrating at the same time.

Today, though... today, there was new gossip she'd come across. Word had spread that there was a new person in the office: a foreign liaison, from what she understood. Sai Gaka. The more Ino dug on him, the less she seemed to be able to find; he was from a foreign organization known as ROOT, employed by the National Allied Forces. Supposedly, they were black operatives used to investigate the most heinous of crimes. From what Ino understood, it was usually mobsters or terrorist-related organizations that ROOT kept tabs on. Deeply high-level operatives that were everywhere and nowhere, all at once.

In Ino's case, it intrigued her deeply. She'd heard rumours about this Sai character, and from what she understood, he was another tall, dark, handsome, mysterious character that was attracting attention in the office. He'd supposedly been brought to help with a case; he was a sort of... foreign operative—an Allied Nations operative from a division called Root.

Foreigners were always intriguing to Ino. They always had stories and adventures to share. This one was no different; he was quiet, mysterious... sort of intriguing in a way. Ino had been a bit bummed she lost to Sakura when it came to Sasuke, but if this was her consolation prize, then she damn well wasn't about to complain.

Besides—Sakura deserved a man like Sasuke. One who'd go to great lengths to protect her. She may not have known Detective Uchiha for long, but what she did know was that he was fierce.

"Oi, look who's creeping about the office again," an energetic voice sounded from behind Ino, causing her to jump.

"Uzumaki—what the hell!" She said with an angry stamp of her foot, stabbing him in the chest with a finger. "Okay, first of all, smartass, I wasn't creeping, and second of all, shut up, and thirdly, don't ever sneak up behind me again, or you will be the first man in existence to find out what it's like to have his balls drop twice." Damn, just how the hell was he so sneaky?!