Chapter 10: Amends

After Ino had got herself cleaned up, dressed, and showered, the two of them took to the streets, opting to walk in the direction of the ice cream shop rather than drive. It was a place that Ino frequented more than she liked to admit, but it was by far the best ice cream in town.

"I hope you're ready for one hell of a menu," she said as she playfully elbowed him. "This place has a ton of different flavours. It's hard to decide on just one, so if you want my recommendation, get two scoops and get at least two different flavours. Or, you know, if you're really feeling it, then go for three scoops. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way." She was back to being a bit more animated; the prospect of ice cream had brightened her mood.

"I believe two scoops will suffice for me. I am interested to see what sorts of flavours they have on their menu." Sai wasn't always fond of ice cream, but he would oblige for Ino's sake. He owed her that much.

"Okay, so, answer me this," Ino began as they got in line to wait to speak to the attendant at the counter. "If you hadn't been trying to find out other information about me, would you honestly have gone to dinner with me?" She wanted to know just how much of that situation was to do with him and how much was to do with his investigation. Despite their differences, she still found him attractive, and if he meant well, she wasn't against trying for something more. 

Of course, it would have to wait until her life settled down a little, but... it could be worth it. If nothing, then she'd at least get to have some fun.

Sai thought about her statement thoroughly before answering. "I think I would have accepted a proposal for dinner with you. Ultimately, I am still new to the city; thus, I would have trusted your judgement regarding local cuisine. It would have also been preferable to eat a meal with someone else as opposed to alone." A logical answer. The fact that she'd intended it as a date had gone right over his head, even the first time; he hadn't the faintest clue about dating at all. That answer was good enough for Ino; it meant that there had at least been a possibility there.

"Good enough for me. Okay, ice cream time. I know what I'm getting already, so better start looking and picking. We're almost at the front of the line." She was going with one of her childhood favourites: a scoop of grape and a scoop of ube. As a kid, she'd chosen them because they were her favourite colour; as an adult, they just seemed to stick. The ube was a gentler, more nutty flavour, while the grape was sweeter. 

"One scoop of grape and one of ube in a waffle bowl, please," Ino requested once they'd reached the counter. She turned to Sai, who seemed to be mildly indecisive.

"I'll take... a scoop of pistachio and a scoop of hazelnut." Milder, nuttier flavours? It seemed fitting for someone like Sai. Ino was about to reach for her wallet when he stepped in front of her, paying for both of their orders as the clerk quickly got them ready. He figured paying for her ice cream was the least he could do to make up for how their time had gone. They walked back down the street at a casual pace, quietly enjoying their ice cream. As they neared back to her house, Ino knew they would have to get a much more difficult conversation out of the way this afternoon.

"So... I think with all of this, I'm going to need your help. Well, help and advice," she admitted as she nibbled on the corner of her waffle bowl. "I don't know what I should do now about, well, you know, the whole... I'm technically the missing daughter of a former criminal." It was hard; it was the kind of thing that if it got out, it could drastically affect her job. It could potentially upend her entire career as a prosecutor. She could be accused of conspiracy, seen as unfit, many different things. It was the kind of information that could sway a jury if used right by a defence attorney. That was the last kind of craziness Ino needed in her life.