Chapter 2: Tour Guide

Ino was quick to return to work, brewing over ideas in the back of her head. Sai wasn't intentionally rude; he just seemed... unintentionally offensive. The kind of person who maybe needed a little bit of help to make sure he wasn't offending everyone around him. Ino thought she was the perfect person for that kind of thing; he seemed genuinely kind and helpful deep down.

As she was debating methods to go about that, Sai walked back in, much to her surprise.

"How'd your meeting with the Chief go?" Ino asked cheerily, standing from her desk to walk around it and greet him.

"The meeting was adequate," he responded. Adequate? That sounded... well, Ino wasn't sure how to put it. Granted, the fact that he had returned to her office had to mean something. Maybe not that he necessarily liked her -- it was far too early to get into something of that depth -- but if nothing, he must have appreciated her offer to give him a tour. That was a score in Ino's books.

"Well, that's... good. Anyway, you're staying for a bit, right? Why don't I keep up the little tour and show you around the city, too? I know a great place for some good local food." It was an innocent gesture, though it was the kind of thing Ino would refer to as a "pre-date date". In other words, she was gearing up for an actual date. In all seriousness, she was very interested in Sai, even just from a friendly perspective; he was a fresh face from the usual people she saw. The fact that he hit every little check-box on her ideal man list was just a bonus.

Part of her couldn't help but swoon. To think she and her best friend might both end up with tall, dark-haired, mysterious hotties; it was a dream come true if the blonde had ever thought of one. She was still mildly jealous of Sakura getting there first, even if she'd won fair and square. But if Sasuke decided otherwise, she might just have to swoop in for a piece of that.

"A meal consisting of a local cuisine would be an acceptable engagement. Your offer is sufficient. Would it be permissible to ask for a lift to this local culinary spot from you? I am without personal transportation for the moment until a few administrative things are reconciled." He was so... oddly formal, more than she would have expected from someone in his position. It contrasted with his earlier bluntness, that was for sure.

"Of course! I understand completely. I should be done here around six, so meet me here, and we can do that. I don't mind at all. I hope they get all your transportation figured out, though. Oh, if you need an office to work from, there's a meeting room you can set up in; just let Hinata know so she can book it for you to work. We don't use it too often, so you shouldn't be disturbed. I think we use it maybe once a week at most." And it was a good thing they didn't; it meant Ino could keep him nice and close and wouldn't have to come up with too many excuses to talk to him.

"A practical solution. I will utilize it promptly." He gave her a curt nod of thanks, turning back to speak to Hinata before disappearing into the room. Ino waited to hear the door shut before she broke into a silent victory dance, elated that she'd managed to succeed.

"Miss Yamanaka," a soft voice said from the door, "Is it really prudent for you to be pursuing Mr. Gaka so... vigorously?" Hinata looked mildly wary after having caught her boss—and friend—doing such a dance.

"Shh. No judging until you spine up and ask Uzumaki out," Ino scolded lightly, causing the dark-haired girl to blush profusely.

"I-I have no reason to ask him out!" She defended, her soft lavender eyes pleading with the blonde not to tease her. Too late; Hinata speaking up meant she'd opened that can of worms and had to clean it up.

"Oh yeah? Then why do you stare at him and sigh so longingly every time he passes by, huh? A boy like that is right up your alley. Just walk up and offer him some of your cinnamon buns. If you ask me, a guy like him, the way to his heart is definitely his stomach." Ino chuckled as the blush on Hinata's face continued to darken, and she attempted to hide in the long veil of dark hair she had.