Chapter 4: Look At Me...You Did Your Best

It's been a month since you joined as a manager on the boys' volleyball team at Karasuno high. The team won their practice match against Aoba Johsai but they had to work on their receives to tighten up their defenses. As you record stats and refill water bottles with Kiyoko, you enjoyed watching the boys give it their all in practice. Kiyoko and you have gotten closer and the two of you bonded over Track & Field since she had just retired from running not too long ago. It was nice to have made all these connections with everyone on the team in such a short amount of time. Sometimes during classes, if you saw one of the boys' from the team passing by in the halls, you would wave and smile at them. You realize that you cross paths with a lot of them between classes, but never Asahi. You would think Asahi was a ghost you could only see in the gym because you never saw him during school hours, not that not seeing him was something you couldn't live without, but it would be nice to bump into him in the halls once and a while. Even though you didn't see him during school, you guys spent time together while walking home from practice. If there was no practice that day, before walking home you and Asahi sometimes would have a little one-on-one volleyball match. He would teach you some volleyball skills like spiking and passing, and the look on his face when he was teaching you how to play was priceless. You found yourself falling in love with the game because of how happy Asahi was when he talked about it; you could literally listen to him talk forever.

Today at practice, Coach Ukai dragged a big box into the gym and started handing out uniforms to the team. The uniform was a black jersey and shorts with orange details. As the boys got their numbered jerseys, you noted who got what number.

I guess Daichi is one because he's the captain, and Hinata, Tsukishima, and Yamaguchi are ten, eleven, and twelve because they are always together in the middle. I may be wrong but I think that's why. Asahi is number three...huh...I don't know why but that suits him so well. Number 3, The Ace...sounds like a wrestling name haha

"You know what they say: "All good things come in threes", you said to Asahi who was admiring his uniform and the memories he made with it.

Asahi looked up at you. "Yeah, I've heard that before, but bad things also come in threes, like death", Asahi said pessimistically.

Jesus, talk about morbid

"Yeah, you could say that I guess", you laugh. "but I seriously love the colors of these uniforms. The black and the orange go so well together; it matches the "Karasuno Crows" nickname the team is known for"

"Yeah, the ferocious pack of crows that will peck your eyes out with a single volleyball serve", Nishinoya said, butting into your conversation.

"You got that right, Noya!", you said. "Also Asahi, the uniform matches the hair tie in your hair. I think that's pretty cool.

Asahi became flustered because you were talking about the orange hair tie you gave him the first day you guys met. "Yeah, you're right, I didn't even realize that"

"Yeah, it does match..hey wait a minute, you always wear black hair ties, when did you start wearing colored ones?", Nishinoya questioned, inspecting the hair tie in Asahi's hair. Asahi panicked and didn't know whether to lie or stay silent, knowing both would make him more suspicious.

"Oh, I gave him my hair tie because he didn't have one. He used a rubber band to tie up his hair and I was like "No way, José", so I just gave him mine. What a coincidence that it is orange", you answered.

Nishinoya stared at Asahi, then you, then Asahi again. "Asahi, YOU DOG! SO WE ARE WEARING HAIR TIES THAT GIRLS GIVE US NOW?!?! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANYMORE!!!", Nishinoya yelled in disbelief. Asahi stood clueless because he didn't know what he did wrong.