Tola: Part Six

"Absolutely not," Helen said.

"Tola, I don't think you should do this," Gideon said.

"I'm with Gideon," Luke said.

"Do you even know where they live?" Adoette asked.

"For the record, this is all on her," Arian interjected. "100% not what we agreed to. I had nothing to do with that suggestion."

Matteo didn't say anything. He seemed to be thinking about it, which Tola appreciated. At least he wasn't immediately shooting her down. "This is really important to me," Tola explained. "If I can do something, I have to. We're not going anywhere for a little while. Why not try to help some people while we're here?"

Arian sighed. "Tola, c'mon. You already said you'd give them some of the magic spit."

"But I can do more.Cassandra would want us to help them. That's the whole reason she stole a ship, isn't it?"

The room fell silent. Tola felt a little guilty about invoking Cassandra's name, but there was no doubt in her mind Cassandra would be on her side in this argument.

Then again, after her behavior lately, maybe it wasn't the best argument to make.

"She kind of has a point," Matteo said finally.

Everyone looked at him in surprise, Tola included. She had expected him to think about it a bit longer, maybe, not agree with her so quickly. "I mean, listen, we're stuck here. It can't hurt to help out some people while we're here. They really need it," Matteo said. "We might be able to get some more information while we're at it. They weren't lying to you about the kid being sick, right?"

Tola shook her head. "They felt really scared for him," she said. "I don't think they'd have any reason to lie to me."

"See, there you go. Low risk, big reward, could be worth it."

"Guys, you do realize if we keep being all mushy, people are going to just keep taking advantage of us?" Arian pointed out. "And we really don't need that."

"Arian, that's a terrible thing to say," Tola said.

"No, it's smart. I'm right and you know it..."

"Can everyone shut up for five seconds?" Helen said abruptly. "I'm trying to think."

Everyone fell silent. Tola tried not to let her annoyance at Arian show. She understood his point a little, but sometimes he took it too far. It was so frustrating. Not to mention she had a lingering sense of suspicion that he'd be arguing differently if someone else were asking. He'd been okay with Adoette going to that night club, after all. He'd gone with her. Would he have argued that Adoette might let herself be taken advantage of, or was he only saying this because it was her?

Tola hoped not. She might have been the youngest, but she wasn't a baby.

"I don't know if I like this," Helen said finally, "but he honest with me. If I say no, are you going to do it anyway?"

That was a good question. Arian had been right earlier: legally, she was an adult. She could leave if she wanted to. Her family had always encouraged her independence, especially because of her background, but it had never felt right to do things without checking with everyone else first.

This means a lot to me. I have to be honest about that.

"I want everyone to be on the same page," she said, trying to sound firm but not angry, "but I do want to do this and will probably go."

Arian groaned. Gideon didn't feel happy, either. Both Adoette and Matteo seemed impressed, at least. Helen, mostly, felt resigned. "Okay," she said. "Are you at least all right with one of us going with you?"

"I'll go," Gideon said immediately.

"That's fine," Tola said just as quickly. "And I promise I won't stay any longer than I have to."

"Good," Helen said, "because we'll be coming to get you as soon as we get the go-ahead to leave the planet. Send us your coordinates once you're there and don't do anything stupid. Promise?"

"I promise."

"And don't be afraid to bail out if it's not safe. You're sticking your neck out enough for these people as it is. They don't owe you anything."

Tola wasn't sure she was comfortable promising that, but she did see Helen's point. Gideon, at least, would take that to heart. She knew that much.

And just like that, she was packing up to leave. The abruptness of the decision left her feeling suddenly anxious. She had what she wanted, but that suddenly made her unsure she should do it.

You fought for this. Now you have to see it through.

There wasn't much she needed for the trip. She brought a few things to keep herself occupied—a book, a journal, an embroidery project—because she could only administer so much healing at a time, and she knew from experience there was a lot of sitting around and waiting with these things. Other than that, though, it was clothes, a first aid kit, and her phone. Gideon seemed to have packed even less when she met him in the halls. "Are you sure that's enough?" she asked, pointing to his backpack.

"I'll be fine." He squeezed her shoulder gently. "You ready?"

"I am. Thank you for coming."

He smiled slightly. "As if I'd ever let you run into this kind of thing alone."

The others were waiting for them at the door, there to wish them farewell and give hugs. "Be careful," Helen repeated. "And call us while you're gone, okay?"

"I will. I promise."

"I'll try not to call you hourly," Luca joked. He had his arms crossed and hadn't reached out for a hug. Tola didn't mind; he always stayed in his personal bubble when he was stressed. "Promise."

"It's okay." Tola smiled at them despite her nerves. "I'll be okay."

I hope I'll be okay.

Once they said their goodbyes, they made their way to the hotel. It was, as the family promised, easy to find, and not even a very long walk. Gideon spent most of it in complete silence. It wasn't unusual for him to be so quiet, but this time it felt different. Pensive was the best word she could think of for it, and a little bit worried. "We're doing the right thing," Tola reassured him.

Gideon sighed softly. "Yeah."

It didn't seem like he disagreed that it was the right thing. He probably, like Arian, just disagreed that they should be doing the right thing right now. Tola knew that sometimes you had to be selfish, but now didn't feel like one of those times. She could do something.

She had to.

The family felt surprised to see Gideon and Tola arrive with full backpacks. They felt even more surprised to when she said, "We're coming with you."

Surprised, but also glad. Hopeful.

It was a good thing to feel.