4: Dancing Lawn

The Dancing Lawn was a beautiful place; Ina had always known that. But there was a certain tension in the air tonight, an energy that she could not quite place.

Large oaks and cedar trees towered over her, their dark shapes stark against the star-strewn sky. Lamps of different shapes and sizes had been placed along the treetops and ledges, and they looked like huge fireflies from afar. Even the colours here seemed to shine brighter, as if they drew strength from the moon. The sight was breathtaking, but Ina could not fully enjoy the view. Not when the Narnians were looking at her with pursed lips and stiff shoulders.

Beside her, Caspian muttered, "What's taking them so long?"

"They have to wait for everyone. There are more Narnians left than you think," she said, sardonic.

Caspian was fidgeting. He seemed more on edge than usual, and that was saying a lot, considering that he had woken up in a strange place, discovered strange creatures and was chased by soldiers, all in one day. "I just wish they'd stop staring," he mumbled.

And they were staring indeed. Mostly at him, but at Ina, too. She'd heard whispers about her in the past few hours, saying that she'd brought the prince to the woods, that she was a Telmarine spy. Even those whom she'd been friendly with were throwing her furtive glances, and they greeted her with no more than a curt nod.

"Yeah," she sighed. "Me, too."

"What if they say no?" he said suddenly, his stare unfocused. "What if this turns ugly?"

Ina looked at him, and for the first time, noticed that his hands were trembling. "It'll be fine," she said. Empty words. She knew she couldn't promise him that. "They're... not going to kill you."

Caspian scoffed. "Comforting."

"And if they say no, we could just go home."

"And where is that for me?"

Caspian's words were quiet, but Ina caught them anyway. Her heart bled for him, and her face must've shown it, because he added quickly, "You don't have to answer that."

For a moment, she stayed silent. The emptiness in his voice, so like her own, astonished her. She wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone, especially not Caspian.

"I could show you how to steal," she said finally.

He faced her then. "Is that what you were doing in Telmar that night?"

"What? No."

His mouth twitched into the smallest of smiles. "You're a terrible liar."

A loud voice sounded just as she elbowed Caspian, so his cry of shock was mostly unheard. "My brothers and sisters," announced a centaur. Ina was surprised to see that it was the one who'd helped her out of the trap. The woman was young for a centaur and carried herself with a certain air of mischief, the kind that dissolved into the years. Ina caught sight of her green-gold eyes, and thought she'd winked at her.

"Welcome, and thank you for gathering here this evening," the centaur continued. "Earlier this morning, my companions and I discovered a young Telmarine who had entered our domain. We found in his possession the white horn of Queen Susan the Gentle."

"Thief!" bellowed a voice. It was soon joined by others, and all around Ina could see faces contorted in anger. "Liar! Murderer!"

"Silence." The centaur did not raise her voice, but it rang through the clearing anyway, reverberating through Ina's bones. At once, the din quietened. "We will allow him a chance to prove his case.

"Step forward, Son of Adam."

Caspian inhaled sharply and did as he was told. Murmurs soon rose among the Narnians, their noises angry and bitter. But they died down once the centaur raised her hand and clenched it into a fist.