7: Before They Strike

"It's not your footwork, but your swordplay. You're too predictable. If I move here..." Peter waved his sword at Ina's torso in slow motion, which she blocked and closed in for another blow. But as soon as she did, his blade was there, parrying with ease.

"I'd expect you to do that. So, don't." He smirked and flicked hair out of his eyes.

"Alright." She stood straighter, a smile tugging on her lips as well. Ever since her terrible fight with the High King, Ina had been longing to duel him again, eager to rectify her mistakes. "One more time."

"Go on, Ina!" Lucy cheered from the side of the ring, a soft musical lilt to her words. Ina noticed that the kings and queens had an accent unlike any she'd ever heard. It was both strange and captivating.

She found it hard to think of them as Royal Highnesses—they were all so young, barely older than herself. It was especially difficult to think of Lucy as a queen. The girl was a bright ball of energy, her eyes always glowing with wonder. Ina couldn't imagine her being confined to a throne of iron.

Peter, on the other hand, wasn't hard to picture with a crown. Though only seventeen, his every action exuded kingliness. Ina thought he was even bossier than Caspian.

"You don't give up easily, do you?" he asked in a light tone.

Ina grinned and rolled her shoulders. "What do you think?" Without waiting for his reply she plunged, their blades clashing with sparks of iron.

She fought deliberately, anticipating his next move, but he was doing the same. The fight went on, neither of them gaining a foothold—

Ina sidestepped.

Or at least, that's what she wanted Peter to think. Instead she rolled, lunging with a burst of energy and caught the High King off guard. His sword fell to the ground in a satisfying clang, earning Ina a round of applause from Lucy.

Peter looked impressed, though his face betrayed a hint of annoyance. Like Ina, he wanted to win. "Nicely done."

She dusted herself off and smirked. "I had a good teacher."

"Up for another round?" Edmund came over to them, flushed with exertion, his eyes still bright from the fight with Finnius. Ina had caught glimpses of him duelling the satyr, and from what she saw, she had to admit that he was very impressive.

To her surprise, Edmund regarded her instead of his brother. "You might find me a better opponent than Peter."

Lucy tried to smother her giggling and failed. Peter gave Edmund a flat look. "No, you won't."

Ina shrugged and touched the tip of her sword to Edmund's; both their mouths curved into keen smiles. "We'll see."

"Peter!"

Before either of them moved, Caspian strode up to the ring, still wearing his outfit from last night. Bunching his lips to one side, Edmund lowered his sword and exchanged a shrug with Ina. She was mildly surprised to see Susan trailing behind him; they must have been training together before this. She would make sure to tease Caspian about it later.

"Evgen was keeping watch on the high wall. He said he saw movement in the forest." Caspian was grave. "A Telmarine scout."

Peter exhaled deeply, rubbing a thumb across his brow. "No doubt he followed you back from the camp." There was a note of accusation in his voice that was not lost on Caspian; Ina watched his shoulders tense.

"What would you have us do?"

"Call for a meeting at the Stone Table," Peter said crisply, sheathing his weapon. This set Caspian further on edge; he wasn't used to taking orders from people. "We'll discuss this with everyone."