5. Oliver

After a crazy week, I would have preferred to stay in on Friday night and invite Dex over to watch the ballgame and eat pizza

After a crazy week, I would have preferred to stay in on Friday night and invite Dex over to watch the ballgame and eat pizza. My mother would kill me if I didn't attend the Children's Hospital benefit. My parents bought a table every year, as did all their friends. Boston's wealthiest came out to support sick children.

There was a car parked in my driveway. My first thought was Karen, my housekeeper, but she drove a Mercedes SUV. I drove an Audi and the irony might bother me, if she wasn't indispensable.

"Hello." I called as I entered through the front door.

Crash! Thud! "Oof!" It came from upstairs.

I ran up the stairs. Flat on the floor in the doorway to my office was Ms. Joslin, looking up at me with her brilliant green eyes.

My eyes darted into my office. On the floor was my laptop. I had left it plugged in with the cord bridging the space between the table it sat on and the wall. At her feet was the cord.

"Are you alright?"

"I think so."

She looked at the heel of her hands. They were red and raw.

I held out my hand. "Can I help you up?"

Before she could respond, Oreo walked up to the injured party and head butted her face. Laughter filled the air and sent a warm wave through me. She reached out and petted my cat, who rolled over and purred.

"She isn't friendly with people she doesn't know."

She looked up at me and smiled. "We're friends. She followed me around while I took pictures."

"Pictures? Where's the camera?"

She pushed up with a grimace and a wince, before slowly standing. Her stockings were ripped at her knees. Guilt filled me and settled in my gut.

"I'm so sorry. First, my cat and now my cord."

She stepped forward with a wince. "It's fine. Honest. Ask anyone. I'm a klutz."

Still feeling awful, I said, "I have first aid ointment."

"Honestly, it's fine. I have a few more rooms to photograph and I'll be gone."

I looked at my watch. "I have to change." I started to turn towards my bedroom.

"For your date?"

I turned back and shook my head. "I'm going out, but not with a date."

She looked at her injured palms. The red crept into her cheeks. I felt déjà vu.

"I must have misunderstood Amanda."

"If she implied we were dating, she... Let's just say our mothers are friends. We are not."

She looked up at me, a moment, before turning back into the office. I watched as she picked up my laptop and inspected it. Turning, she brought it to me.

"It looks okay. If you'll turn it on to be sure."

I held it in my hands but didn't press the power button. Those sad green orbs brought on another wave of déjà vu.

Clearing my throat, I said, "I'm sure it's fine. I have to get ready. Take your time."

She nodded and turned to pick up an expensive-looking camera. Thankfully, it wasn't in her hands when she fell. Her injuries would have been worse.

With no time to shower, I reapplied deodorant and cologne before slipping into the fresh crisp white shirt. I could have used a shave. Hopefully, my mother wouldn't comment. Her disapproval was still on the short list of things I tried to avoid. Before I slipped on my dinner jacket, I took the comb to my hair to tame it. Thankfully it was thick, but I had been fighting a cowlick my entire life.

Once satisfied, I left my room, but my plan to slip out unnoticed failed.

Amused by her expression, I winked. "You'll scrape your chin."

Once again, her surprised face caused that odd feeling of familiarity to hit me. I almost turned back and asked if we had met before. Instead, I said goodnight and left her alone in my house. Smiling, I thought, what's the worst thing that could happen?