17 - Oliver

My mother tried to force more food onto my plate. JJ sat across from me, filling his hollow leg. Sighing, I pushed my plate back.

My mother squeezed my wrist. "Is something worrying you?"

Everything. I had grown up a child of privilege and was used to getting everything I wanted. I wasn't even sure what I wanted. Emma, but what did it mean? Every time I kissed her, I felt a familiarity I couldn't identify. It was a feeling I craved worse than sugar. I didn't think I could ever tire of the way I felt when I held her.

Her blush caused me to have blood flow issues in the other direction. Rex knew and was purposely torturing me. He should feel guilty because Emma's last fall was on him, not me. My God, she was so adorable when she crawled off like a scared animal, like Oreo when Amanda was around.

"Son, is there a problem at the office you haven't told me about?"

I shook my head, debating what to say. "My house looks like a war zone."

Not quite, but Emma was its repeated casualty. Maybe she was in the wrong line of work.

My mother patted my wrist. "It will be worth it when it's done. The perfect family home."

I stared at her, poised to argue, but a vision flashed through my mind. A happy kitchen with Emma's laughter. I abruptly pushed back from the table. Too old to ask permission, I muttered, "Excuse me."

With six eyes on me, I lifted my plate and carried it to the dishwasher before retreating to my childhood room. My mother had redecorated it when I finished high school, so it felt like a familiar guest room.

I hadn't felt this confused in years. I liked plenty of girls in the past and was serious with a few, but none made me feel like Emma did. She was exhilarating and challenging at the same time. I drowned in her green eyes one minute and laughed at her antics the next.

Unable to stop myself, I picked up my phone and placed a call. I expected to get her voicemail. When she answered, I felt flustered, and I had negotiated book deals with some of the toughest agents in the business.

"How's Oreo?"

"Downstairs for her safety. I really wanted them to get along."

"Me too." It hit me like a two-by-four. Ironically, something that hadn't happened to Emma yet. I wanted our cats to get along as much as I wanted Emma. I cleared my throat. "Did you hurt yourself?"

"No. I never normally fall this much."

"Rex said you do."

"Rex! He says a lot of things that are untrue."

I smiled. "He enjoys shocking you." Get to know her. "You two are friends and you work together?"

"We started at Keene on the same day."

"How long ago was that?"

She laughed. "What am I on an interview?"

New tactic. "Now you're neighbors and hang out?"

"Yeah." Her answer lacked conviction. "With Brynn."

"Your roommate."

"She's a lawyer at Martin, Walsh and Blum."

"Good firm. My brother is a lawyer, but he works for us."

"Is he good looking?"

I felt my pulse throb. "Not as good looking as me." She laughed, and my heart floated. "Have dinner with me tomorrow."

"What?"

"Dinner. A date."

"Why?"

I laughed. Any other woman I would accuse of playing games. "Because I like you a lot and want to spend time together. We can make it casual. Takeout at the house."

"Good idea. You don't want to be seen with me."

"On the contrary, I have an event on Saturday night and really want you on my arm."

She coughed. "Event."

"Black-tie. I could ask my mother about borrowing a dress from a friend." I could buy her one, but knew she'd say no.

"I don't think it's a good idea. I would probably knock over everyone on the dance floor like bowling pins."

I laughed so hard I wiped my eyes. "I want to see that. Think about it, but tomorrow is a date. Goodnight."

I hung up without giving her a chance to respond.

The next afternoon, I had trouble getting out of the office but was relieved her car was there. I honestly thought she would leave.

When I entered, she appeared at the top of the stairs. I watched her descend in a pair of black slacks narrow at the ankle and ballet flats. I felt a sensation telling me the moment was my future. I tried to shake it off, just as her foot slipped on the paper covering the steps. She slid down half a flight on her back.

I ran to her. She hadn't screamed, but she lay there with tears in her eyes. Without thinking, I gathered her in my arms.

I asked into her hair. "Are you hurt?"

"I don't know, but that's your answer. I can't go anywhere with you."

"It only means I can't let go of your arm."

She cried. "You make me fall."

I wouldn't argue. It was semantics. I released my hold on her, so I could wipe her tears with the pad of my thumb.

"Come on. Let's see if you can stand."

She stood gingerly and rubbed her lower back. I might need to invest in ice packs, ace bandages, and gauze. The doorbell interrupted my shopping list, and I retrieved our dinner.

"I hope you like Chinese."

She smiled. "I love it."

I escorted her to a chair. "Can you sit?"

As we ate, we found a comfortable conversation about movies. It surprised me she liked suspenseful thrillers. I did too and wanted her to cling to my arm in a dark theater. Once again she hardly ate enough, but nothing spilled even when her hand shook every time she lifted her glass.

"Do I make you nervous?" She looked at her plate. "I'll take that as a yes. I'm just a guy who wants you on my arm."

"No, you don't."

I lifted her chin, forcing her to look at me. "Yes. I do." Then I placed a chaste kiss on her lips. "Look, fortune cookies!"

She snickered and shook her head. Eyeing her, she sighed and frowned. "Rex."

"Rex, what?"

She blushed a full hue of red. "When we read our fortunes, he makes us add 'in bed' to it."

"What?" I laughed and shook my head. "Like this." I popped the wrapper and broke my cookie. Pulling out the slip of white paper, I cleared my throat. "Confidence isn't something that you get. It's something that you are in bed."

She giggled nervously. "Seriously?" I nodded. Could I make that up? She looked down at her slip. "Believe in yourself and you will succeed in bed. This sounds like a mother's advice to a bride on her wedding night."

I was very glad there wasn't a bed in my house. "A virginal bride, in what century."

She shrugged. "In books."

"Can't argue with books. My turn." I picked up another cookie and laughed. "Enjoy life in bed. This is not a dress rehearsal."

She sat up. "Hey, that's cheating?"

"There are rules? One more for you."

"Okay. Better to do something imperfectly in bed than to do nothing perfectly in bed."

My unrestrained laughter filled me with joy. "Who's cheating now?"

She smiled. "Thanks. This was fun."

"So you'll go out with me. Don't answer. Don't ruin my night. Can I at least get another amazing kiss?"

She smiled coyly. "Amazing."

I nodded and captured her lips before she could refuse. She may refuse me with her words, but not with her mouth. I let her silky smooth hair down as that warm feeling of déjà vu wash over me.