Chapter III - The Chief's Son

"We're here!"

I roamed my eyes at the vicinity. It's like a small cabin home, surrounded by lots of big trees. Yet, we are still at a village.

As White enthusiastically get off the driver seat and jog his way at the trunk to get my things. I also opened my door and stepped out of the vehicle.

I inhaled the mixture of forestry aroma and smiled as I felt the calmness it brought into my senses. It somehow soothes the anxiousness that I felt. Because after several years. This is it.

I finally got to meet my father once again.

~~~
"HEY UNCLE MARCUS! WE'RE HOME!", White shouted as soon as he stepped inside the abode, and I was just right behind him trying to observe my surroundings, since it's my first time being here.

"SHIT!"

We both flinched as we suddenly heard someone cursed along with a loud thump in the dining area. Me and White both rushed to check what happened, and to our surprise, we saw a man in his 50's at the floor, rubbing his butt, as he was also holding a hammer at his other hand.

"Uncle? What are you doing in the floor?", White asked in confusion.

The man finally noticed our presence, due to White's voice. He looked up and from seeing White, he immediately glided his gaze towards me, which made me smile timidly.

"Gun..", he said as he is still looking intently at me.

"Hi dad", I said as I suppress the shyness in my tone.

It's weird to see how your father suddenly changed it's appearance from the last you saw him. He absolutely aged. Some of his hairs turned white. His face wrinkled and is evident at side of his lips, and most of all. It look like he barely even slept a wink. His eyes are encircled dark, yet the good thing is he's still in perfect shape. Overall, he looks fit in his 50s but he looks very tired.

"Y-you can take a seat", my father said as he hurriedly stood up, and even stammered in his words before he could even speak.

I just flashed a sincere smile to calm him, and sat down in the seat near me.

I can clearly see the nervousness in his eyes and actions. I can actually feel it. Even I can see White in my peripheral vision tend to throw glances at me.

"I-i made you a roasted chicken", he said as he shakily lifted the steel cover of the tray at the middle of the table.

I even flinched as I hear the resonating sound of the steel cover dad dropped in the table.

"Uncle. Let me", White said as he reached out to get the cover from my dad's hands.

"U-uh.. o-okay", I just smiled at my stuttering father across the table.

White looked at me and flashed a smile as he paved his way towards the kitchen leaving me and my father alone.

The silence between me and him is deafening. I could see him fidgeting at his hands.

It's a lie to say if I wasn't hurt at the time that he didn't came back to Thimphu. Even just to visit.

Numerous questions flunctuating in my mind. On why he didn't came back? Does he not love me anymore? What is the reason why he can't go back? I even got to ask myself, if he's still alive.

But my mom always make sure to give me answers. She made me understand Dad's situation. Besides, she and dad is still friends. They ended with no shattered pieces left behind. It's not like they wanted to fell out of love for each other.