Chapter XVIII - Bad Blood

July 1, 2019

It doesn't take much to disperse her foul mood from the night before. Joe wakes up long before she does because when she wakes up and walks into the kitchen, there's a plate of bagels waiting for her. Joe's running on the treadmill in the gym room, she can hear the methodical thudding of his feet on the rubber. Meredith and Olivia are already sprawled out on the sofas, looking like best friends each time that they are both vast asleep. When Taylor walks around the flat to try and spot Benjamin, she hears Joe call out for her.

"Morning," she says, peeking her head from behind the door, "what's up?"

"He's here," Joe nods to the side, "Fighting the kettlebell."

She can't help but coo when she spots the kitten face off against a bright blue kettlebell, jumping around it and swiping before scurrying back. He mews frustratedly when she picks him up with ease and clutches him against her chest, then almost immediately starts purring. Taylor turns around and watches Joe run for a few moments before looking out on New York City.

"It can be so peaceful here," she sighs happily, "I love New York."

"It can be," Joe grunts, jumping off of the treadmill, "it can also be absolute hell. That subway is horrendous and that's coming from someone who has used London Underground all his life." He pauses, "Have you ever taken the subway here?"

"Of course I have," she feigns shock, "what kind of girl do you take me for!"

"One with Lincolns and drivers available," Joe grins, grabbing a towel, "What does your schedule look like today?"

"I cleared it entirely." Taylor nuzzles Benjamin's head gently, "Yesterday was hectic enough as is, I could do with some peace and quiet."

"Then that's what you'll have, my love," Joe says jokingly, "I'll be out of your hair in like half an hour tops. Just got to shower and put on some sporting gear."

"I cannot actually believe you are going to watch sports later on," she mumbles, following him out into the hallway, "I know you miss rugby, but American football is gruesome."

"It's for Jack's birthday," Joe walks over to the kitchen island before turning to open the fridge, "I can't say no to a friend's desperate plea to go see a football match with him." He pauses, "Plus there's like seven of us, nobody will even notice I have no idea what's going on - do you want some cream cheese on yours?"

"Hm?"

"Bagel." Joe raps his fingers against the tub of cream cheese, "I'm thinking salmon, chives, cream cheese. What do you say?"

"Sounds good," she pulls one of the bar stools back and continues to scratch Benjamin's chin gently, "can I have the plain ones?"

"I knew you were gonna want the plain ones," Joe pulls one of the drawers open, "where do you keep knives in this place?"

"Second one on the right, next to the sink."

Joe grabs a knife and slices the bagels, tsking in disapproval when Taylor's already opened the pack of salmon and tears off a piece to feed to a frenzied Benjamin.

"You are spoiling him."

"I have to make sure his loyalties lie with me," Taylor retorts half-seriously, "for some reason my cats always seem to prefer other people over me."

"Right well," Joe slides a plate over to her, "For Benji, it's cream cheese that works best as bribery," he grins as he runs his finger over his bagel to grab some of the creamy goodness, "come here, buddy."

Benji almost immediately jumps on the counter, strutting over to where Joe's standing.

"Unbelievable." Taylor shakes her head, aiming the bit of salmon at the food bowl next to the kitchen counter and missing, "I truly am surrounded by traitors."