ii

karma sat in the 6th form hub at lunch, deciding to skip the hustle and bustle of the canteen and relax for a bit.

her last class hadn't been with nas so she was alone, waiting for at least one of her two closest friends to show up.

her eyes were shut, softly bopping her head to her playlist that played through her headphones.

the boy from earlier sat a bit away with some of his friends, shooting glances at the girl periodically, taking his chance to stare while she wasn't looking.

a brunette boy walked in, smiling as he noticed the shorter girl sat alone.

karmas head snapped up as one of her earphones was pulled away, leaving emptiness where it had been.

she was ready to get mad, until she recognised who was in front of her.

the boy from earlier that day and his friends watched curiously.

'karma ashford, what a surprise.'

'cory!'

she stood, wrapping her arms around his shoulders as his snaked around her waist, him lifting her smaller form off of the floor slightly.

'bloody hell cory i feel like i haven't seen you in ages, where have you been?'

they let go, beaming at each other after their hug.

'karma, you saw me two weeks ago.' he laughed, shaking his head at the girl.

'still too long ago' she muttered, rolling her eyes. the two sat down, joining some of cory's friends.

the mystery boy and his companions watched as the girl sat with the group of boys, saying something and making the group erupt in laughter.

everyone's attention was bought towards the door as alya and her minions walked in, missy following a few minutes later, bursting into the room.

'seriously, what's so good about in here? you got a coffee machine which is impressive and everything but it's still school.'

alya's friends looked at her anxiously, not sure how to react.

'i'm your age, don't worry. just all gotta be dead to me cause you passed your exams and that.' 

'it weren't her fault. she's- she's in our year really, she's just gotta retake.'

'yeah, she don't bite or anything, alya. even if she does act like it at times.' karma sarcastically commented, turning away from the group of boys she was talking to and leaning over nas' shoulder, the unnamed boy that had been watching chuckling at her comment.

'thank you nasreen, karma, dead sweet.'

she replied, sitting down next to nas and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

'missy booth, good to see you in uniform for another year.'

'got a thing for it have ya? you'd be so lucky.'

missy and cory flirted, making karma roll her eyes with a soft smile.

'teachers will be well pleased to see me talking to you all, isnt that the point in this school, to make us all friends?'

alya and her group said nothing, only starting back at missy in distaste.

'you're real nice, you. loving your friends, nas, not prejudiced or nothing.'

'please.'

'just a bitch then?'

'missy.'

'what?'

she scoffed, standing up and storming out.

the mystery boy watched on as karmas face fell, her eyes darting around at her friends, not sure what to do.

she zoned out, panicking about what to do, not hearing alya badmouth missy behind her.

cory placed a hand on her shaking leg, his thumb rubbing in circles.

'it's okay, yeah? just text missy and tell her it were out of order and you're sorry you didn't say anything or summat.'

karma nodded, picking up her phone hurriedly, standing up and leaving the sixth form hub after grabbing her bag.

mystery boy's eyes followed her out, and he pondered on what to do before speaking up to his friends.

'i'm just gonna go to the loo.'

he left the room, spotting karma sat, leant against the wall with her eyes glued to her phone a few feet away.

he approached her cautiously, sitting down next to her.

'you okay?'

'you saw all that huh?'

'yeah just a bit. are you alright though?'

'yeah, i just don't know what to do to be honest.'

she turned to look at him, taking in who was sat next to her.

'i don't believe we've met.'

'no, we haven't.'

they smiled at each other, karma shifting to face him.

'karma ashford.'

'riz nawaz.'