Chapter 20

"...And then Georg drove me home." Maria shut her locker and leaned against it while looking at Rafie whose mouth fell open as she slammed her locker.

"What?!" Rafie squealed.

"What?" Maria raised an eyebrow as the pair began to walk to the lunchroom.

"It just sounds more eventful than my date with Trevor and we've been dating for three months." Rafie said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Maria snipped as the two rounded a corner.

"Nothing" Rafie teased as the two made their way to a table.

"Yes it does" Maria responded.

"Ok don't kill me-"

"I won't" Maria rolled her eyes impatiently.

"Its just that he sounds like he likes you" Rafie became more serious

"Pssh whatever" Maria unpacked her sandwich.

"I'm just saying-"

"Say all you want" Maria ended the conversation
_______________________________________

When Maria arrived at the villa a few days later the kids greeted her at the door.

"What's going on?" She pushed past them and shared a smile with Helen.

"Georg's just told us about our spring break trip!' Kurt exclaimed while plopping on a barstool.

"We're going to a cabin!" Gretl shouted as she jumped in front of her babysitter.

"One we used to go to all the time when we were little" Friedrich added.

"And we'll get to go swimming since its near a lake." Louisa joined.

"Sounds exciting, guys" Maria was happy for them, she realized they hadn't been on a real family trip in years.

They all made their way to the main hall where Max, Georg and Ellie stood.

"Well I see they've told you" Georg addressed Maria as she was about to follow the swarm of excited kids upstairs.

"Yep, I'm glad you get to go" Maria was honest and Max watched the exchange closely.

"I so wish I could go but my family's going to Florida for the week." Ellie pouted as she clung to Georg's arm.

"Well that sounds fun too!" Maria tried to cheer her up.

"Ellie, you'll have a good time with your cousins" Georg assured.

"Well I better run, come on Max, we gotta go." Ellie kissed Georg on the cheek and the pair went out the front door.

Georg and Maria stood in awkward silence as they watched the other two walk out until Maria said "I'm sorry"

"Its okay, the kids didn't really want her to come anyway." Georg shrugged "it sucks but its fine."

He made his way back into the kitchen where the three little girls were with Helen at the island.

Maria tried to stifle her laugh.

"What's so funny?" He looked over his shoulder.

"Its just the kids obviously hate her and you seem to not care one way or another." She shrugged

He stepped a little closer so the others couldn't hear "in all honesty I like Ellie, really, but sometimes she can be clingy and even I don't like that."

"Well to them it seems like she's stealing their brother." Maria said

"I don't know. Things haven't been the same for a while now and she's trying really hard to get back to where we were and I just don't know if we ever will." He sighed and continued on into the kitchen.

"Well at least you can have some space to reflect next week." Maria said as she grabbed a granola bar from the snack drawer

"I guess so"

"Talk to your aunt about it, she's smart." Maria suggested

"You bet I am" Helen responded from the island which made the little girls giggle as the high schoolers made their way to the family room.

"She's not coming" Georg said "I talked with her and it would be more of a vacation for both of us if she had some time alone."

"Well that's nice but how?-" Maria was having difficulty picturing Georg dealing with his siblings by himself.

"Come with us" he simply stated as he sat on the couch, leaving Maria in shock and she went to go check on the kids' homework.
_______________________________________

Maria had told the family that she would think about it and after a particularly long day dealing with Louisa and Kurt fighting, she arrived home to find Peg sitting on the couch and working on the computer.

Maria relayed her day as usual and brought up the proposition they had posed about her going on a trip with them for spring break.

"I don't know Maria. I mean we didn't have any prior plans, but are you sure? It would be kind of like working." Peg asked

"But it wouldn't because everyone always acts different on vacation, not to mention we're all friends anyway." Maria slumped in her chair.

"Look," Peg sat up and placed her computer on the coffee table. "You have done a fabulous job of balancing work, school, church and this family, and I'm glad that you're happy and that our relationship hasn't suffered. Its just that this would be a big step in your relationship with them." Peg explained.

"What?" Maria was visibly confused.

Peg could hardly believe Maria. She obviously had some feelings for Georg, it was clear by the way she talked about him. His invitation only further proved that he had and interest in her and feared that Maria's heart would be central during the trio. But on the other hand these kids needed to figure things out for themselves, and what better time to do it?

"I will allow you to go, as long as you text or call daily and promise you'll be careful" Peg raised her eyebrows hoping to get her true message across.

Maria sprung up quickly and enveloped Peg in a bear hug while repeating "thank you" over and over again.

Hey y'all. The Tea is about to spill. Anyways i got the cabin idea from A GMW fic I read years ago but idk the name of it...sorry.

But I'm pumped

Thanks for reading!!!