prologue

" and the secret door swings behind us... "

ARES JEAGER CREPT THROUGH THE HALLS OF A HOSPITAL, LOOKING FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL

ARES JEAGER CREPT THROUGH THE HALLS OF A HOSPITAL, LOOKING FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL. HER STEPS WERE SILENT AND HER BREATH HUNG LOW TO THE GROUND. SHE KNEW ONE WRONG MOVE COULD GET HER KILLED. AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT SHE WAS TRYING TO AVOID.

The woman toyed with the ring on her finger as she walked. Light from the window reflected off the shiny material and sent scattered rays across the wall. Ares couldn't help but smile to herself. Even in the dirtiest places, beauty could be found. However, she knew those rays of beauty could be the very thing that end her life. She slipped off the ring and placed it in her pocket, careful not to drop it.

the light was abnormal. it followed me. i can't be taking chances while in enemy territory. She told herself.

Her eyes trailed down the hallway before making her next move. The blue hues drew deeper as she strayed father from the light and into the depths of the hospital. As she walked she glanced into rooms but always finding nothing to avail. Ares sighed and rubbed her forehead, while moving her hair out of eyes. She knew he was here but unfortunately, here was a big place.

Ares turned around, her tall figure moving back the way she came. Suddenly voices arose infront of her, sending the teen into an instant state of panic. She jumped behind a frame that stuck out from the wall and hid while the voices grew closer.

"I bet he dies by next week!"

Laughter erupted from the two guards walking.

"Like hell! I give him three."

The brunette held her breath and crouched, hoping the pair wouldn't see her. She watched with wide eyes as the men strutted by and continued down the hallway. She waited until their rather loud conversation could no longer be heard and rose from her spot, quietly running to the nearest exit.

The sun hit her tanned face and she let out the breath she'd been holding. Running a hand over her face, the Eldian closed her eyes. She felt so tired. A voice in her head began telling her to give up; just go back to her comrades where it was safe. She'd see him soon enough, right?

Ares pulled out her ring and stared at it. Her eyes grew dark with rage. She cursed the thought of ever leaving her husband behind.

Keep going. Find him.

Find Eren.

╰━━━➤ AU
ares jeager stands at 5'8
word count: 420