chapter 5

After dinner, Ray finds himself listening to music in his room, finishing the last few assignments that he hasn't finished. His left leg bounces up and down, the fabric of his pajamas following the motions.

The pleasant light looming above his paperwork gives off a calm vibe, which he likes very much. He reads and answers the remaining questions that lead to the end of each paper. He's a quick reader and practically knows everything his mother and teachers had taught him.

"Number nine, 'In your own words, what is the meaning of life?'" He reads the question aloud. This piques his attention just a bit; he never really stops and wonder about many things. Sure, he has asked himself why (Y/N) exists in his life but that's all he could recall at the moment.

"Meaning of life . . ." Troubling.

He rests his chin on his palm and nibbles on his pinky finger, attempting to come up with an answer, but, he couldn't think of anything.

The fatigue in his system soon makes its way to Ray's brain. He'd crammed on his desk for the past 3 hours, but he doesn't pay attention to the time. No wonder he's always tired during the day.

"What . . . Is the meaning of life . . . ?" Without realizing, Ray has fallen asleep on his desk.

"A tunnel."

'What?' Ray forces his eyes open, seeing nothing but darkness around him. The only source of light he has at the moment is the soft glow outlining his body. He raises a brow, confused yet curious.

It's obvious to him that he's dreaming. Sure, he's aware, but that doesn't mean he can fully control himself to do whatever he pleases.

"A dark tunnel."

It's that voice again. He couldn't identify who that voice belongs to, but he's sure that it's a girl's voice. Then again, he can't assume so quickly. It's all still tingly and slightly muffled to him.

He feels liquid touching his feet. Gasping, he looks down and sees black water leveling with his ankles. He needs to run, that's for sure.

He follows his gut, running straight forward as he listens to splashing noises that's below him.

"A long, dark tunnel."

It's been hours since he began running abruptly. He feels exhausted. The water level remains the same.

"It will take forever to reach the end."

It's as if the feminine voice is mocking him, forcibly controlling him, like a puppet and its puppeteer. He doesn't like it.

Another hour passes, the voice is silent for once. Even so, he pushes himself further. He still has some stamina left in him. But he's growing slower. He needs refreshment; he can't drink the black water below him, that's just gross in his opinion, and there isn't any other water sources.

The outlined glow brightens, flashing his eyes for a moment. He grunts at the brightness, squeezing his eyes shut before opening them again.

He sees something.

"You'll become tired."

He hears it.

"Then you'll stop."

He follows its words.

"It's bright,"

"Too bright." Ray finishes its sentence unintentionally, but he isn't wrong. It shines at him.

"When you enter, you'll either be at eternal rest, or be the birth that's given to this world once more."

It's tempting him to touch the light. Like a siren luring unwary sailors to her rocky bay. He doesn't understand what the voice is telling him.

"The meaning of life is . . ."

He awaits for his answer. That stupid question that's printed onto the paper. He feels frustration urging to come out as a scream or a shout.

But nothing.

Ray wakes up, in the worst mood possible.