FairyTales

Emilia looks at the man seated across from her intently, her eyes narrowed slightly. He had promised her answers, and he was going to give them to her. She wanted to know exactly who those men were and why one of them now lay dead on those docks, by his hand.

"They were part of Mr. Delmont's. .  organization, so to speak." Alexander responds coyly and making her glare in response, picking up her mug to sip on the warm liquid and whipped cream that helps her to calm down rather quickly.

Setting it back down she raises her brows, and asks another question realizing he isn't going to elaborate on that. "And what were they doing?"

His sigh is an exhausted one, "They were guarding a very important shipment from the islands, making sure that no one interferes with its transfer."

"Care to elaborate?" She asks, feeling rather annoyed by his reluctance to give her real answers.

Alexander wanted to snap back a no, that she had learned enough and that anymore would just put her in more danger. But he knew it was useless. "There was a drug shipment from Central American Islands, and they had been having quite a bit of trouble with the Miami mafia recently on Mr. Delmont's docks, despite it being their territory."

Emilia felt a small wave of shock travel through her body, hand shaking slightly on her mug as she raises it to her lips again, trying to swallow back what was really going on there.

"Is that why he accused me of being a spy?" She asks quietly, suddenly terrified of what that could mean, and how close she had really been to death last night.

"Not quite, " He struggles again to conceal something, but finally gives in. "Quite a few of Mr. Delmont's men consider you to be very dangerous to their operations, they know of your investigations, and they believe you to be a spy for someone. Not necessarily another mafia, but for the FBI or another organization."

She nearly laughed at this, somehow finding humor in the seriousness of the situation. "Why would they think I knew anything about this?"

"It's paranoia, you don't know how often they accuse people, and several end up dead. Emilia, if Mr. Delmont knew that you were there last night, if he had any idea, you could be dead right now, or worse."

This made her shut up, she had used up her terror for the moment, but the information still had her shaking. "What do you mean, worse?" She tries to keep her voice from trembling, but knows that she failed upon seeing the regret on his face.

"Emilia, you have to understand what these people do, they kill for fun, they hurt for no reason, and if you are caught knowing or doing something that you shouldn't, you will disappear and no one will ever find you, not even me."

She tries to stave off that panic attack that he had prevented effectively earlier, but she can tell from her racing heart and shaking hands that it would come any moment now. It had been nearly a year since the last one, she had figured out very effective forms of getting rid of them, or ignoring them, but she didn't have that at her disposal right now, she had no way of getting rid of these feelings that gave her more fear than anything else she had heard.

"Emilia, look at me. " 

His voice snaps her out of her whirling mind, tearing her from the terror that had gripped her so effectively in the past few moments. Her eyes meet his, not steadily, watery, tear filled eyes as his soft gaze searches hers.

"I won't let that happen, I won't let them take you from me, understand?"

Emilia sees the determination there, and remembers his hands on her, the sure way he grips her, he had shot a man to keep her safe. And as much as he scares her, she also knows that he will keep her safe. He won't let it happen, he won't let anything happen, to her. And more than anything he had said to her, she finally believed his words.