The Best National Parks for Outdoor Winter Activities

Many national parks offer a variety of outdoor activities, even in the winter. With some exceptions, are often less crowded during the colder months, making it ideal for a visit.

The Grand Canyon

is among the most popular vacation destinations but sees much fewer visitors during the winter season. The lack of visitors could be blamed because the North Rim is closed in the winter. But visitors to the park can visit the South Rim during the colder months. Many visitors make their way to the canyon's bottom to stay warm, where even in the winter, the temperature hovers around 60 degrees. The South Rim's El Tovar Hotel is where most wintertime visitors choose to stay.

Bryce Canyon National Park

At k, there is always something to do during the winter months. Saturday nights, visitors can attend a multimedia show that is part of the park's wintertime astronomy program. During the show, visitors are invited to use the park's telescopes to watch the stars. Even without a telescope, at night, visitors will see thousands of stars. After dark, visitors can also embark on the Dark Rangers hike, which takes between one and two hours. The daytime hours are when visitors to the canyon will have a view of 200 miles of scenery, culminating in the Black Mesas site.

Rocky Mountain National Park

is also a popular winter destination. With 250,000 acres of land, it is the perfect place for hiking. Those who travel past the Colorado River may spot moose on the west side of the park. Meanwhile, on the east side of Highway 34, visitors often spot bighorn sheep. Experienced hikers even have the opportunity to go rock or ice climbing with a certified guide.

Yellowstone National Park

is another destination that is much less crowded in the winter than in the summer. Many visitors come to Yellowstone to ski, hoping to avoid the crowds that gather at nearby lodges. While there, they are likely to spot bighorn sheep and even wolves if they take one of the park's wintertime tours. They may also see hot springs and geysers erupting against a backdrop of fluffy white snow.