i.

*7 years earlier*

3rd Person POV

A russet-skinned young woman was sitting inside of a booth in a cafe in Volterra, Italy, casually sipping on her recently purchased coffee. She had decided to take a small vacation away from the hectic town of La Push, Washington. 

Her brother had a son, ten years prior. He had recently been caught cheating on his now ex-wife Allison Uley. The trials of fatherhood taking their toll on him.

After everything that went down the past month, Ellen Uley decided she needed a break from the supernatural world that comes with being a shifter. That's right. Ellen was a shifter, along with her two brothers. The first woman to shift in her tribe. 

After weeks of dealing with the aftermath of her brother's destruction, she finally searched up some soon departing flights, not set on a specific destination. She felt a pull to one location in particular. Volterra, Italy. So she hopped on a plane, no second thought. That's what lead her to where she currently sat, drinking a bland coffee that she knew she wouldn't finish.

Breaking her out of her thoughts, the strong smell of bleach and death filled her senses. 'Leech,' her thoughts alerted her of the close presence of a bloodsucker nearby. But this one was a little different. It wasn't as strong, it had an undertone of vanilla and men's cologne that was a scent that would have her drop on her knees given it had been any other circumstance.

In walked a pale man with platinum blonde hair. Red eyes blazing but the small crowd of customers seemed not to notice. He was absolutely stunning. Dressed in a black silk button-up and matching dress pants. 

The strange vampire was drawn in by the repulsive scent of a werewolf but when he caught sight of her, he couldn't imagine that she was in fact a member of the 'children of the moon.'  So he approached her. 

"What do you want leech?" Ellen snarled

"Ah, ah ,ah," the vampire tutted, "that is no way to speak to the person keeping you alive. You should be happy that I am curious enough to allow you to remain in Volterra for the time being."

"And why would I need your permission to do that?" She hissed

"The Volturi have no tolerance for your kind! You are abominations!" He snarled

"My kind? My kind doesn't go around sucking innocents dry, we protect those who cannot protect themselves." She informed him

"Your kind will kill anything in their path on the night of the full moon. You have no sophistication, you beast!" He growled

"And what exactly do you think my kind is?" She questioned slightly amused that he thinks she's a werewolf.

"A child of the moon? You know, "He said disgustedly, "a werewolf."

She began laughing, "A werewolf? Ha! Werewolves wish they were us!"

"If you aren't a werewolf, then what are you?" 

"I'm a shapeshifter, dumbass." She snorted. "I am a spirit shifter. I shift to protect my tribe. I can shift whenever and wherever. I don't need a full moon."

"Oh, I apologized for my misconception," He seemed genuinely confused, "the Volturi have no quarrel with your kind."

"I understand I guess," She said smiling slightly, "I'm not a fan of the whole werewolf thing myself. Never seen one before but I've heard the stories."

After the small misunderstanding and introducing themselves properly, they talked for hours on end. They talked about different things. Completely random. They were relaxed in each other's presence. Not knowing why. Caius explained his hostility towards werewolves while Ellen explained the history of her kind to him. She felt like she was betraying the tribe but something within her felt drawn to him. They weren't soulmates by any means. Ellen hadn't imprinted and Caius had Athenodora locked up in her tower.

They talked to each other until the cafe had to close. Although they didn't want to say goodbye just yet.

"Hey, um, do you maybe want to come back to my hotel?" She asked, all of a sudden becoming shy.

"Yes, lead the way beautiful,"  He responded

They walked to the hotel that she was currently staying at. The sexual tension pulsating throughout the air. The craving for physical connection coursing through their veins. Before Ellen could even close the door, Caius had her pinned against the wall. Kissing her with a passion she's never felt before and one he didn't know he had. For someone who wasn't his mate, she made him feel things Athenodora hadn't within the 3000 years they had been together.

The night was filled with passionate lovemaking. The kind that ignited their souls and set a fire within them. Little did they know, male vampires could impregnate humans or semihumans in Ellen's case, and they had created a little buddle of joy who would later become Accalia Lowella Volturi Uley. The first shifter vampire hybrid. The future Volturi princess and the mate of one, Emmett Cullen.