Chapter 8 🌲

Edward had carried Athena to her room once again since she had arrived. Rosalie and Alice had gotten the task to undress her and get into a comfortable pajama, then to place her under the satin duvet, though unsurprisingly Rosalie did reluctantly, making an effort not to complain. Mean while Edward was busy studying the strange purple blood. It didn't make sense one bit. Was she even human? She was obviously not turning into a vampire, but the venom was still present in her blood if thats what you would call the undefined substance.

The front door opened and the familiar thoughts from Carlisle filled his head. His father figure rushed up the stairs to get a look at what was going on. Edward stepped aside.

Fascinating, Carlisle thought, his eyes snapping back and forth between the purple substance and Athena. I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if the venom will make her somewhat immortal...

"Can that happen?" Edward asked worriedly.

"I do not know. But the venom is still present in her body without her being a vampire, though I have absolutely no idea how it got there. Parts of her are frozen in time already, or so I would believe," Carlisle guessed.

"Shall I go take another sample?" Edward asked.

"That would be wise."

Edward nodded in agreement and disappeared with yet another syringe. Carefully, he opened the door to the room that was beside his own hot wanting to wake up the beautiful girl inside. She was heavily asleep he soon took notice. He made his way over and she did not move one bit. Her arms were bare and her left arm was over the covers. He placed the very tip of the needle against her golden skin just barely and gave it a little push as to extract the blood. The thin metal needle broke and shattered into a thousand tiny shards.

The beautiful brunette vampire's eyes widened as he stared at the broken tool. Carefully he tried to use vampire strength on her arm, not sure if he would regret it or not. It budged in the same way as with his family. Her skin felt more normal against his, not too warm as humans usually felt. She was breathing but her heartbeat was fast. His head tilted, it almost sounded like...was it even possible?! Two hearts? He dared to lean a bit more forward to listen...

"Edward? What are you doing?" Athena's voice was sharp but exhausted and he jumped away at once. "Well?"

He had no words and certainly no idea over what to tell her. He was embarrassed yet intrigued by the heartbeat.

Did you get the sample? Carlisle thought.

"No," he whispered low enough so that only Carlisle could hear him.

"No, what?" Athena asked and glared, tired with this strange behavior.

"You heard that?" Edward breathed.

"Why wouldn't I?" she asked with a raised brow.

"Because I was speaking for vampire ears only..."

"Oh, well, my hearing has always been better than most-"

"It has?" Carlisle interrupted as he made his way into the room, turning on the light, for he had been lingering outside the door

🌲