Chapter 7

Klaus was storming around the house enraged. He couldn't believe what the girl was able to do to him but there wasn't anything he could do about it. The moment he made the girl mad she would either put him in pain as the evening before or simply throw him from the room. Her mother was right, she was much stronger than any other he'd met, maybe even as strong as his mother and aunt. She would easily be able to do what he needed.

Kol remained with Rayne as she slept through the night, too afraid that if he moved, she would wake up. He had fallen asleep with her late in the night, but woke up before her. She had exhausted herself too much the night before. He continues to lay with her, letting her rest as much as she needed because he knew she would need it in the coming days. He could hear Klaus downstairs but knew that he would not try anything with her.

Rayne let out a quiet groan as she turned to her side, facing Kol. She opened her eyes slightly, the sun shining through the curtains causing her to bury her face into Kol's chest.

"Is it too bright for you dear?" He asked her as he grinned down at her.

"It is when it is shining right in my eye," she muttered.

They laid on the bed for a while longer, Kol playing with her hair. Rayne could feel a warmth in her chest, feeling at peace as she laid on his chest and let him play with her hair. Kol wanted to do this every night, but he knew that it wouldn't happen. Although they were doing this now, he needed to win her heart to make it permanent.

"Would you like some breakfast?" He asked her.

She looked up at him with a soft smile and nodded. "That sounds great. And maybe some coffee," she told him as she yawned.

"Well come along then sleepyhead." He says up, pulling her up with him.

"Where too?" She asked him, confused.

"To the kitchen," he told her as if it should be obvious. "He can't stop you from leaving the room."

She sighed. "Yes, but I rather avoid confrontation." She looked down to avoid his eyes.

"There will be none," he told her. "Just remember that he is afraid of what you can do to him." He pulled her into his arms and lifted her chin so that she was looking at him. "Don't worry about him."

Their eyes met and all she felt was a sense of safety with him. "Okay," she told him as she took one of his hands in hers.

Kol smiled as he led her out of the room and down to the kitchen where he picked her up and sat her on the counter. "Does anything in particular sound good?" he asked her as he started to get things out of the cabinets and fridge to make her breakfast.

"I'm not too picky," She tells him as she grins, watching him from her spot on the counter. She heard movement in the room beside them and caught a glimpse of Klaus passing the doorway. He saw her as well but remained silent.

"Relax dear," Kol told her. She jumped when she realized that he was standing between her legs, trying to get her attention.

After he made breakfast, they went back to the bedroom so Rayne could prepare herself for both her grandmother's funeral and the ritual that she had to do tonight. She knew that they would both be difficult but the funeral would be the worst of the two.

Kol had given her time to get read and assist the funeral home in setting everything up in their living room. When he went up to get her to escort her down for the funeral, he was surprised to see her face almost stone cold. "Is everything alright?" He asked her as he took her hand to lead her downstairs.

"I'll be fine once tonight is over," she told him as she followed him down the stairs. There was a slight break in her voice as she spoke, telling him that she was trying to keep it together. She could hear the many voices before she saw the people they were coming from. They became quiet as her and Kol's footsteps replaced their voices. All of her family was waiting for them downstairs.

"I'm right here, love," Kol told her softly as he felt her hesitate once everyone looked at them. They were staring. All of her family know of the Mikealson's but she was sure there would be questions as to why she was with them.

"They are staring," she muttered as she looked down at her feet to make sure she didn't miss a step.

"Let them," he said. "They can think what they want, don't allow it to both you." She gave him a nod as they finished descending the stairs. He led her into the living room and to the front of all the chairs that had been set up. "Do you want me to stay with you?"

"Please," she immediately told him, not wanting to be alone with her family. Kol smiled as he sat down beside her. The rest of his family stood in the back of the room while Rayne's family filled in the rest of the chairs around her. The ceremony started and the rest seemed like a blur to her.

******

Everyone took their turn to walk up to her and give their condolences as they viewed her grandmother one final time before leaving for their family cemetery where she would be buried. There were many questioning eyes as Kol stood close behind her, taking her in his arms and hugging her when it became hard on her. Her mother did not say anything to her as she took her leave. After the last person left, Rayne turned to Kol who saw the pain in her eyes.

"I'm here for you, love," he told her as he hugged her once more. She buried her face against his chest, glad that she didn't wear any makeup as it definitely would have ended up on his shirt. "Do you want to go to the cemetery?"

She shook her head. She did the view but she didn't want to be around her family any long. She didn't want to be there to see her grandmother put into the ground. "Alright, come on, let's get you something to drink. Are you hungry?" She nodded as she hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast. "Let's go out to get something to eat."

"Make sure she is back in time," Klaus speaks up from behind him. Rayne crossed her arms as she turned around and looked up at him. Klaus took a step back away from her once he was within her sight. "Don't get into any trouble."

"I think you are the one that has been causing the trouble," Rayne snapped at him. Kol laid a hand on her shoulder to attempt to stop any further anger.

"We will be back in a few hours, before midnight," Kol assured Klaus as he took Rayne's hand into his and led her from the room and out to the car.