1_ The Bet

In a lovely mansion in a Chicago suburb, two girls were sitting on a bed in a girly decorated room. With a box of tissues by her side, one of them was crying, while the other tenderly patted her back. Her demeanor was similar to that of a mother.

"You still haven't told me why you're crying," Belinda said as her older sister wiped her nose for the third time without explaining anything, and it was starting to irritate her.

Belinda had just returned from seeing her boyfriend, Stavros, who she had been seeing secretly for some months now.

Stavros worked as a gardener for their father. He was five years her senior, mature, and she was devoted to him. But he was impoverished, and worst of all, he was her father's employee. Her mother would never approve, but it didn't stop her from seeing him and having secret meetings with him.

Finally, after so many secrets, Belinda had decided to tell someone about it and had chosen her sister. Belinda had sought her sister out, only to discover Dakota was waiting for her in her room.

Apparently, Dakota had wanted to speak to her as well. However, what surprised Belinda was that instead of the bubbly, confident girl she was used to, what she found was a quiet, devastated girl, with teary eyes and trembling lips.

And for the last ten minutes, Belinda had been trying to figure out what happened to her sister, but all Dakota did was cry in her arms without saying a word. Which made Belinda feel helpless, and a little irritated.

"Dakota—"

Dakota wiped her attractive face, which had grown scarlet, and said, "Oh, it's so shameful. I can't believe I let him hurt me like that."

"Hurt you how? What do you mean?" Belinda gave a cautious response.

"I have been used."

Used?

Belinda's heart began to sink. "How? What? —What exactly do you mean when you say 'used'?"

Dakota grasped her sister's hand and held it, looking into Belinda's puzzled eyes before glancing down as if she couldn't bear to look at her; as if she was consumed with shame.

"I met this man who I believed was interested in me. I've been seeing him in secret for a while now. He is kind and thoughtful. And last night was the first time I slept with him."

Oh no, Belinda didn't like the direction things were heading. If her sister had been dumped once more. Is it possible that she confessed her feelings to this unknown person straight after sex and he rejected her? Was he unable to reciprocate her feelings?

Belinda felt sorry and felt compassion for her, knowing this were the case.

"Oh my God, Dakota, I'm so sorry," Belinda murmured and hugged her sister, however,

Dakota was gently pushing at her shoulders, trying to pull free from her bear hug.

Finally, she succeeded in separating herself from Belinda. "That's not all," she murmured, but she refused to look at Belinda. Her head was bowed, and her teeth were pressed against her bottom lip.

"Dakota," Belinda prompted, and Dakota looked up at once. Her blue eyes held anxiety, and she seemed apprehensive about what she was going to say next.

White, scanty brows came down heavily as Belinda frowned.

This was not typical of her sister; Belinda was not used to her sister acting in this manner. Dakota was known for her audacity.

Any party's lifeblood. Cheerful. The younger girl was curious as to what the jerk had said or done to her sister to make her feel this way. Belinda had never met this man before, yet she felt compelled to do terrible harm to him on behalf of her sister.

Before she could persuade her sister to say anything else. Dakota shamefully replied, without looking at Belinda, "And last night, I discovered he has also been seeing you."

Hearing that, it felt like Belinda's breath had been knocked out of her, and her usually pale face turned white if that was any possible.

Instantly, her fury left her as she tried to comprehend what her sister was saying.
She already knew this guy? It can't be.

The only guy she was seeing was— No... no.. it couldn't be... Belinda thought with a sudden premonition. Her heart beating erratically.

"This man is his name, Stavros. Is he our father's gardener by any chance?

Immediately after saying that, her older sister gave her a look that told her everything she needed to know.

Seeing the answer in Dakota's face. Belinda's face crumbled, and she shrank back in horror, not wanting to believe it.
Tugging her hands from her sister's grasp.

Her red head shook from side to side, as though in shock. Her dark eyes were wide open.

"No, no, no, He wouldn't be able to do such a thing. Why would he do something like that? He can't be playing with two sisters at the same time."

"That's what I thought, also, until he bragged about how effortlessly he slept with both of us. I should have known better as the oldest sister and avoided falling into his trap. God, I should have known you were seeing such a deplorable man and intervened to prevent you from seeing him."

What was Dakota saying? Belinda was yet to wrap her head around it. Stavros would never do something like this.

Countless times he had told her he loved her and how there was no one else for him but her.

Remembering all those sweet times with Stavros. How Stavros had held her and told her he had never felt like this with anyone.

The words forcibly sprang from her lips. "I refused to believe these. "No, it can't be. These can't be true. You are only making it up."

Dakota had an outraged expression on her face when she heard that. Which she was unable to conceal.

"Why would I deceive you, Bee? What am I hoping to get out of these? I told you he was making fun of the two of us. To him, it was just a bet. It's a bet. He'd arranged a bet with a few coworkers to see who could screw the two Gibson sisters the most. And I'm embarrassed to report he was successful. If Mia had been older, I'm sure he would have tried his luck on her as well."

Her heart ached at the notion of her younger sister being duped in this way. "Don't say that," Belinda exclaimed before she could catch her breath.

Dakota's jaw suddenly closed, and the two sisters exchanged stares before Belinda whirled around and bolted from the room.

In the hallway, Belinda was distraught; she didn't want to believe Stavros would do something like this, but why would her sister lie? What did she stand to gain, as her sister pointed out?

The answer was nothing.