40. Devil May Cry

Song of the chapter is Lucky Strike by Troye Sivan

-40-
-Ahaan Jaiswal-
-Present-

-40--Ahaan Jaiswal--Present-

_____________

Delmore's Local Library
11 December, 2019
5:00 pm

" Tell him to chill, he's so upright." Zoya pleaded to Veronica.

" Ahaan chill out. " Veronica said, turning her attention from me to Zoya. " Zoya, pay attention."

I smirked while Zoya pouted.

" Okay before I forget," Himanshu began with a serious look on his face. "I have something that's been bugging me."

" Is it something related to the assignment?" I asked.

" No, it's uh..." He sighed, rubbing his knuckles, "It's related to Alishka."

" To Alishka?" Veronica asked, tilting her head.

" Yeah. Well, I was going through the events of the past few days and I realised we've overlooked something very big." He said , his muscles tensed.

" What exactly?"

" For starters," he mumbled,
" There are two killers involved in her murder."

" The two initals in the cabin." Veronica added, as realisation dawned on her. I sucked a deep breath.

" Two?" Zoya asked, her voice quivering. " You mean, we're dealing with two psychopaths here?"

Himanshu nodded.

" Oh dear god." Zoya muttered under her breath.

" And...after Siya's confession the other day," Himanshu began quietly, looking around to check if anyone was in hearshot. " We might have a prime lead in this."

" Who?" I asked nervously.

" Nikhil Sharma."

Vomit resolved in my mouth and went up to my throat , it's putrid taste settling on the back of my tongue. I gulped it down with a grimace.

" How do we know this?" Zoya asked.

" The initals....N.S.....Nikhil Sharma." Veronica said and breathed heavily. " My god, how did I not think of this before?"

" Yeah... but the initials alone don't prove anything." I said , putting my glasses back on. " We don't have any concrete proof as to whether he's doing all of this."

" Yeah, exactly." Himanshu nodded. " We need more proof regarding this. But this can't be just a coincidence that his initials would just be written in blood on the cabin walls. He is hiding something, that's for sure."