07. Edge of Glory

Song of the chapter is
No Surprise by The Shacks

-07-
-Ahaan Jaiswal-
-Present-

-07- -Ahaan Jaiswal--Present-

__________

Paper Lantern
15 November, 2019
5:56 pm

I moved away and reached out to pull the door handle. The sound of the wind chime crackling softly reverberated into my eardrums as I stepped into the Paper Lantern.

"Welcome to the Paper Lan- Oh it's just you." Zizi yawned as her gaze flickered down to the journal at the counter. " How may I help you dingus?"

" I don't think that's how you treat customers but-"

She yawns even loudly to show her disinterest in my advice. I shake my head. "Right. I'll order some drumsticks, and a chocolate milkshake."

As she announced the price, I dug into the pocket of my blue jeans and fished out my wallet for paying and then made my way to the table.

Paper Lantern was an adequate sized diner located near the Calangute beach.It was one of the most successful cafés in Delmore.The exposed wooden ceiling , marble granite countertops, the teal coloured leather booths, dark wooden floors, the hanging lights were enough evidence of that.

Mrs. Rosario actually started the cafe along with her husband 11 years back. But then Mr. Rosario passed away in a terrible accident 5 years back. Since then, Mrs. Rosario manages the cafe along with Veronica.

As I approach our usual booth, my lips curve upwards at the sight of Veronica. She had her face pressed to the palm of her hand;her eyes silently gazing at the black coffee in front of her.

Beside her , dressed modestly in a white shirt was Himanshu. His eyes were trained on the raven haired girl sitting beside him, the one he was hopelessly in love with.

" Peaches, you're late." Veronica hummed recognising my presence.

I rolled my eyes at the reference of my nickname before slipping into the booth, beside her. " How many times have I told you not to call me that?"

" Aren't you more bitter than usual?" Siya chimed in.

" Aren't you more annoying than usual?"

Veronica rolled her eyes at our little banter. Himanshu contorted his face, and narrowed his eyes.
" Now, children." He paused and looked at Veronica, "Ronnie, you said you wanted to tell us something,right? So why don't you begin?"

" Yeah , right. So what I wanted to tell you guys was-"

Veronica opened her mouth to respond but her words quickly died in her throat as a certain waitress entered our peripheral. Adjusting her navy appron, Zizi placed my order on the table. Her irises flickered over to Siya. " Do you mind?"