Chapter 5 The One Ring.

Life went on as usual. The Kagome and the Rangers of the North continued their patrol of the Shire and the surrounding area. In the blink of an eye, 60 years have passed. Within that time, the One Ring has been found. Gandalf has informed Lord Elrond that the Ring of Power has been found and that Bilbo had it the whole time. Lord Elrond and Gandalf agree that Bilbo's nephew, Frodo, must bring the Ring to Rivendell, but he cannot do it alone. So, Gandalf and Lord Elrond decide that Aragorn should meet Frodo and his Gardner Sam at the Prancing Pony in Bree and escort them safely to Rivendell.

Naturally, Kagome wanted to go with her best friend to ensure that he and the Hobbits arrive safely, “I am going as well,” Kagome told Lord Elrond and Gandalf.

“No, you and I will meet them at Weathertop and escort them the rest of the way here, Daughter,” Lord Glorfindel said.

“But I can help protect them.”

“One Ranger is suspicious enough, but two will draw too much attention, Kagome.” Lord Elrond explained.

Kagome didn't like it, but she had no other choice but to accept the decision of the Lord of Imladris. So, Kagome made sure that Aragorn had more than enough supplies with him to make his journey and that his medicinal stores were stocked up, “I'm not taking any chances with you. You know how you are, reckless when it comes to defending others,” Kagome told Aragorn.

Aragorn smiled at his childhood friend, “I know, and you are always there to back me up.”

“But since I can't be this time, this is the only thing I can do for you,” Kagome paused, then pulled Aragorn into a hug, “Take care, my friend. Ada and I will meet you at Weathertop.”

“I will do not worry.”

“I will always worry about you.” And with one final hug, Aragorn left Rivendell and headed for the Shire, alone for the first time in a very long time.

Time passed slowly for Kagome, her mind always on her best friend. But as she waited, she continued to train with her foster father and prepare for whatever needed to be done. When it was finally time for her and Glorfindel to head to Weathertop, she mounted her horse and followed Glorfindel out of Rivendell. When they arrived at Weathertop, they began to search for Aragorn and the Hobbits. Kagome had taught herself to use her powers to track people. She wasn't sure how she was able to do that, but it came in handy. And there was no one she was more in tune with than Aragorn. So, as she and Glorfindel looked for Aragorn, Kagome would flare her powers to see if they had arrived.

Kagome suddenly gasped. Glorfindel looked at his daughter, concerned, “What is it, Daughter?”

“They're nearby, and one of the Hobbits is hurt.”

“How can you tell?”

“I can sense Aragorn nearby, and I can sense the pain and the darkness from the Hobbit.”

“Then we must make haste. There is no time to spare.”

Glorfindel and Kagome urged their horses through the forest towards where Kagome had felt Aragorn's presence; They found him healing next to the Hobbit tending to his wound.

“Aragorn!”

Aragorn turned when he heard his name and sighed when he saw Kagome and Glorfindel. He urged the Hobbits to lower their weapons, “Do not be afraid, this is Glorfindel of the Golden Flower and Kagome, Dunedan of the North.”

The Hobbits relaxed. Kagome slid off her horse, “What happened?”

“The Nazgul stabbed Frodo with a Morgul blade,” Aragorn said as he finished applying the King's Foil.

Kagome put her hand on Frodo's head, “He is passing into Shadow.”

“Can you heal him?” Aragorn asked.

Kagome paused, “Yes, but I will need Lord Elrond's help. For now, I can ease his pain and bring him back to the light.”

“Do it.”

Kagome placed her hands over Frodo's wound and closed her eyes. Her hands began to glow pink that slowly spread throughout her body and into Frodo's wound. Sam and the other Hobbits stood in awe as they watched Kagome.

“Is that Elven healing?” Merry asked.

“No, this healing power is unique to Kagome. With it, she is a powerful healer,” Aragorn whispered.

“But she cannot heal him completely here; it's too dangerous. The Nine are still lurking about; we need to get back to Rivendell,” Glorfindel told them.

Kagome opened her eyes, and the pink light faded, “That's all I can do for now. It will be enough until we reach Rivendell.”

Aragorn nodded and had the Hobbit's break camp. They loaded everything onto Bill, the pony, and Glorfindel put Frodo on top of Calion with Kagome. She would ride with the Hobbit and, if necessary, send Calion ahead to Rivendell while they hold off the Nine.

It took them a week to reach Rivendell. Glorfindel, an unrelenting pace, giving them little time to rest and having them eat on the go. When they got closer to Rivendell, The Nine made their appearance. Glorfindel urged his daughter to head to Rivendell while he and the others held off the Ring Wraiths. Kagome urged Calion into a gallop and reluctantly left the others behind. The Ring Wraiths began to chase her, but Glorfindel could intercept them and hold them at bay.

Kagome urged Calion to go as fast as possible, and they quickly crossed the river that borders Rivendell. Once she did, Kagome was able to breathe out a sigh of relief, knowing she was safe. She continued her way into Rivendell and was met at the gate by Lord Elrond. He took Frodo down and rushed him to the healing room with Kagome right behind him. Lord Elrond placed Frodo down on the bed and began chanting in Elvish while Kagome held her hands over Frodo's wound and began to heal him using her full powers. It took them several hours, but finally, Lord Elrond and Kagome saved Frodo's life.

When Aragorn and the others arrived, he went straight to the healing rooms to see if he could help. When Aragorn got to the healing room, he saw Kagome come out of the room. Aragorn called to her to get her attention, “Kagome!”

Kagome turned and smiled a tired smile at her best friend. “How is Frodo,” He asked.

“He's doing much better. It took Lord Elrond and me a few hours, but we could pull Frodo from the darkness. And I was able to heal his injury completely.”

“Is that why you look so tired?”

“Yes, it took a lot out of me to heal the wound from the Morgul blade.”

Aragorn put his arm around Kagome's waist and let her lean on him as he helped her to her room. Once they got there, Aragorn hugged Kagome, “Get some rest; I'll wake you when supper is ready.”

“Thank you, Estel. I am rather tired. Lady Arwen is back, did you know?”

Aragorn's face lit up, “No, thank you for telling me. It has been a long time since I've seen her.”

“Last I heard, she was in the garden; I am certain she cannot wait to see you either,” Kagome said with a smirk.

Aragorn smiled and leaned down to kiss Kagome's cheek, but Kagome turned her head, and he accidentally kissed the corner of her mouth. Aragorn and Kagome jerked away from each other and stared at each other wide-eyed. Aragorn cleared his throat, “I suppose I should find Arwen. have a good nap, Kagome.”

“Thank you, Estel.”

And with that, Kagome shut her door. As Aragorn walked away, he ran a finger over his lips and wondered why his heart was beating so fast. Whatever it was, it would go away; right now, it was vital for him to see Arwen.