Death's Embrace

It seemed she had found what she had been yearning for, a stroke against her cheek, the sweet embrace of death. Not death in the typical sense, to clarify, but death as in the name of her lover. He was cold and distant, a figure of black that would remain unnoticed by most. And the few who dared to think of him would surely be met with discomfort or even spite, which was, oddly enough, quite the opposite of how Miss Aislyn Brooke perceived him. In her own eyes, death had a heart full of love, although it was clouded and distorted by the tainted image he was painted as. Death is evil, a monster and a thief, unworthy of sympathy for he is nothing but a shadow in the night.

One may wonder how this story came about, for it is a rather unlikely tale, to say the least. It all began on the day of Mrs. Sylace Brooke's sudden and tragic death. She was found alone in her apartment, pale and blue and certainly not breathing. This was an awful day for her daughter, poor Aislyn, who found herself extremely distraught. That was, until she noticed a presence that had not been there before. It was rather heavy, a feeling thick in the air and uncomfortable in her chest. She felt it tighten around her throat, settling behind her eyes with an irksome pressure.

"It's just me." death responded, much to the surprise of this poor young woman.

"Who are you?" her voice shook as she spoke, not seeing anyone in the room with her.

"No need to ask questions, dear. I'm here to guide you through your grief. I'll be here as long as your soul craves my assistance," a long pause, "The loss of a loved one isn't meant to be like this."

"I- I don't understand. It isn't meant to be like what?" Aislyn shook her head, puzzled but intrigued.

"It isn't meant to be so pitiful," the voice replied, without hesitation, "I mean that kindly, of course, in that it ought to be thought of as the beginning of a new story rather than the sudden ending of one which had barely begun." another pause, "Does that make more sense?"

"I suppose so," she furrowed her brows, "but I don't think that makes it any less heartbreaking."

"Well I can assure you that is not a promise I gave you. I never inferred that loss is not painful, but something can be painful and still help you grow. This feeling, the heavy burden right now in your heart, is as integral to your story as it is temporary. You'll be better off in the end, and that is something I can assure you of. Now I must go dear, alright?"

"Wait-" Aislyn called out, but by then he was gone.

A long time went on where she thought of his words, and in a strange way, she felt herself beginning to heal. Day by day, she noticed his presence dissipating until she could hardly even recall the feeling.

Until yet another unfortunate event unfolded.

A warm summer evening turned cold at the call Aislyn received, when her hand clasped to her gaping mouth and tears rolled down her cheeks.

"We regret to inform you that your brother, Bruno Brooke, was found dead this morning. We are not yet certain of the cause..." the man on the phone continued speaking but his words faded into the background until Aislyn could no longer hear him. Her entire body shook and she bit her lip to stop herself from breaking into sobs.

A few minutes went by of gut-wrenching silence as Aislyn sat, empty, on the floor of her room. She let her phone slip from her hand and pressed her palms against her eyelids. Then she felt that familiar presence, suffocating and almost unbearable.

"Why would you do this to him." she demanded, her lip quivering unsteadily.

"I didn't do anything to hurt your brother, I-"