Lala and the Tapu

"Lala, you are a special little one... Your big brown eyes are the kindest I have ever seen, and someday they will serve a great purpose." Mama said, tenderly tucking her daughter into bed.

"It's true." Papa nodded as he stroked Lala's brown hair.

The little girl smiled sweetly.

"What story would you like to read tonight, dear?" Mama asked.

Lala scowled, though thought it best to stay quiet. In the past, she had spoken out about her hatred of bedtime stories, but in turn she received a great lecture from her father.

"These are more than stories. They are lessons, made to teach children about the danger in the world around them. We must be cautious, and you must be fearful. How else would you learn? Being killed by one of these monsters? These tales teach you to heed your parents' every word, and especially never enter the forest. Do you understand?"

"But Papa, they give me nightmares sometimes..."

A pause.

"Sometimes extreme measures need to be taken in order to keep children safe. Years ago, our town grieved a great loss. We can't risk that happening again, Lala."

And at that moment, Mama walked out of the room.

Lala took a long stare at her large bookshelf, pressed against the wall next to her open window.

"The story of the Tapu." she said softly. This book was a gift from her recent birthday, from Ba. Ba was an elderly woman who lived down the street, who'd lived so long that when she was a child there were only ten town stories. Now, there were too many to count.

Papa walked to the cherry wood bookshelf, pulling out a story titled, The Tale of the Tapu. He then sat on the edge of Lala's bed, and began to read. Mama never read the bedtime stories, but Lala hadn't ever thought to question why.

"Once there was a horrid creature, named Tapu.

"Tapu means monster.

"Tapu would dwell in the forest during the day, hidden in shadows, and go to the village at night to feast on the pure souls of innocent children. "

Warriors tried to kill it, witches tried to cure it, mothers tried to run from it, children tried to hide from it, but nothing could stop this monster.

"It is said that the Tapu eats children so as to keep his figure black, which represents his soul. It is said that your fate is set when you look into his black, sullen, lifeless eyes."

Lala shivered.

"Fate has it, that his eyes contain your deepest, darkest fear and seeing it brings such despair that it kills whoever glances upon them." the illustration on that page was terrifying to Lala. A horrible monster was bringing such destruction; red and black lines swirling in a cluster around what seemed to be dead children. There was no mercy in his eyes, only a vicious desire to kill.

Lala whimpered, curling up tighter in her blankets.

"So beware of the Tapu, and never look into his eyes." Papa closed the book so suddenly that it made Lala jump.

"Goodnight Lala." Mama whispered, as she blew out the kerosene lamp and turned on Lala's night light which reflected the night sky onto her ceiling.

Her parents left the room, closing the door, as Lala stared at the visions of stars gleaming on her ceiling.

Her eyes shut, and she was asleep.

Later that night a gust of cold wind blew through the open window, so Lala pulled her quilt tighter around her.