Stage 17 "Uncanny Feelings"

Lucas couldn't resist. He told himself it was an important part of the mission to support his team and further immerse himself in his high school cover. There was a nagging voice at the back of his mind that kept prompting him. You don't belong in this world, it whispered. He ignored it.

Using the crutches hurt his real injury, so Lucas made sure to take one of the painkillers before heading out. He had just left the dorm when his name was called. Looking up, he saw Auden at the wheel of a golf cart. Peter sat next to him.

"This dude told me you might need a ride to the pitch." Auden jerked a thumb at Peter.

Lucas hid a smile. Ever since he had gone back for Peter during their prank on the swim club, the boy had seemed to take it upon himself to help Lucas out whenever he could.

"Or...you could go all the way there with those," Auden added as he nodded at the crutches.

Lucas snorted. He hobbled over and sat in the back of the golf cart, placing the crutches beside him.

"You in the starting line-up today?" he asked Peter.

"Yup." Peter nodded.

Auden set the golf cart into motion and the three headed towards the football pitch.

Though the game wasn't starting for the next twenty minutes, the place was already filling up. Boys from all around campus were pouring in, with dorm three staking their claim by the bleachers where the girls would sit. The rest of the male population was left arguing about the seats closest.

Banners and flags with the school colors were set up all around and most of the boys, though in uniform, had found some way to add decorative to their clothes ranging from ridiculous hats or colorful scarfs. Most faces were painted with either the school colors or the school mascot. A group to the front had drums and were pounding out a beat while trying to get the crowd riled up. Most were too busy arguing about where they could sit to bother joining in. Lucas was surprised to see even the swim team was all there.

"Quite the lively crowd, right?" Auden yelled to be heard as they zipped past. "We may argue and compete all the time, but there's one thing that pulls as all together."

Peter turned in his seat to grin at Lucas. "Bel," he told him.

Lucas' eyes were glued to the filling up bleachers. A teacher was running around in front, looking like he was attempting to restore order of some sort.

"Alright," Auden said as they pulled up in front of the locker rooms. He turned to Peter. "You'd better win, you hear?"

"You bet." Peter jumped from the cart.

Lucas was about to follow, yet Auden reached out to grab the back of his shirt and stopped him. "Dude. You want to sit in the bleachers with us, trust me."

Hesitating, Lucas shot a look to Peter.

"Coach won't even notice," the boy assured him. "The team will understand. This is too good a chance to pass by. You're lucky to get to sit out this time. Instead you can get up close with Bel..." He had a wistful look on his face. "Represent the team well," he added. Then, he turned and headed for the locker room.

Lucas wanted to protest, and yet Auden already had the golf cart moving

Huh? Lucas tried to figure out what had just happened.

They were half way back to the pitch when Lucas caught sight of the school buses driving towards the pitch. The boys from Ellison High jumped up in their seats, some cheering, others craning their necks to try get a better view. A few had taken off their ties and were waving them wildly in the air. The air was filled with electricity.