Chapter 12

The sweet and spicy fragrance tickles Yunho's nostrils. He never had the urge to order something spicy, not that he hated them, but the interest only grows when he sees San smiling against his cup of cinnamon latte. Maybe he should spare the caramel macchiato next time.

The cafe at Thursday noon is quiet, as the only noise that travels to his ears are a distant chattering of the customers at the other corner and Wooyoung whining over something while Yeosang is snapping at him, which he can't make out what they're talking about. The only conversation he can clearly hear is when two ladies walk past them, unabashedly commenting, "Oh, so handsome."

"People can't seem to keep their eyes off you," Yunho says, and although he isn't going to blurt it out, because he does feel shy, he totally agrees with the ladies.

"What, me?" San turns his head. "They're definitely talking about you."

"Me?"

San visibly rolls his eyes. "Stop pretending like you aren't the most handsome, cutest, tallest, attractive, friendly-looking person that I've ever seen. And you are nice."

He had heard those via Jongho and Seonghwa. But it hits differently coming from San himself.

It isn't the first time Yunho has received compliments. His mother always praises him like he is God, halmeoni of the snack shop never forgets to call him 'handsome boy', but it doesn't count when it comes from those two. Jiyoon must have mentioned it somewhere during their dating experience, which he believes he had replied with a 'thank you' and a compliment in return.

It's not like he has never heard of those, but the jitter he feels in his belly proves he's not used to it. Maybe not used to someone telling him right at his face, like he means it. Maybe not used to it coming from San.

It's the effect of surprise and wanting of assurance when he asks, "You think I'm attractive?"

San then mirrors Yunho. Yunho can't see how he looks, but he is sure his cheeks are flushed with how heated they feel. And San's cheeks do the same. Along the line of compliments San gave, Yunho is more than aware San beats him on the 'cuteness' by a mile.

"Please, it's not like you've never heard of them," San mutters, taking a quick sip from his latte.

"But I want to hear it from you." Yunho doesn't know what has gotten into him. It could be this caramel macchiato that Wooyoung made, which is definitely a rare occurrence. It tastes good, but it doesn't mean he didn't spill in some boldness of his by mistake.

San's blush deepens in colour, and it looks rosy. Yunho is an instinct away to brush his thumb on it.

"You're shameless," San grumbles and Yunho can only agree. He is as shameless as those ladies who walked past earlier. "Yes, yes you are very attractive."

Yunho giggles happily. "Well, that's an honour coming from a man who lived with Seonghwa."

Seonghwa has that face one can't forget easily once they meet him. Large eyes, sharp jawlines, slim fashionable figure, and Yunho thinks that is what someone attractive looks like.

San blinks, but soon understands that Yunho has met Seonghwa the other day.

"Right, you guys have met."

That day, Yunho didn't wait for San to come back. He wasn't in a hurry or anything, but he didn't feel comfortable with the idea of him existing between the two. He personally didn't say anything to San, but Seonghwa of course did, and hence he got the text from San complaining he should've hung around a while longer so that they could've met.

"I hope he enjoyed his stay."

"Sure, he did," San smiles in assurance.

"You used to live with him, right?"

"Yeah, until his marriage."

There's a buzz in his stomach, whirling and disturbing.

Were you upset about it? Is that the reason you moved here? Away from him? Did you like him?

Was he...or is he special?

So many questions spin in Yunho's mind, but he sees none of them appropriate to ask. It's too personal, and as a friend, he shouldn't be concerned about them. As a friend.

He feels the buzz growing. Rowdy and unpleasant. It takes a moment for him to realise that there is a real buzz—something vibrating, not in his stomach but in his jeans' pocket.

Yunho pulls his phone out and sees the name of his flat mate on display. He gestures to San that he is going to get the phone, and San nods. He doesn't know what Mingi wants, but it certainly kicked him off the unsettling thoughts, so yes, for that he's glad.

But that feeling vanishes off after hearing his purpose.

"Help me out, Yunho-yah," Mingi's desperate voice rings through electronic adjustment.

Yunho sighs once. "What have you done?"

The person on the other side of the phone cries out that he just had a haircut at a salon, but it was only when he stood in front of the cashier did he realise that he had forgotten his wallet. Yunho gives out an exasperated sigh.

Mingi, oh, Mingi.

Coming back to the seat after a call, watching San give a small wave at him, Yunho is bitter with Mingi who dared to rip away his time with San. He makes sure to mentally add a tally on the favour Mingi owes him. Which is quite a number already.

San laughs at the crisis Mingi is facing when he hears it from Yunho. He has met the man on occasions, one memorable one being when he came looking for a bouquet for his date. It was so easy to tell he was nervous, San said, freaked out even. He was so clueless about flowers, so overwhelmed and almost ended up getting a cactus. San came to a rescue and assembled a pretty, but not overdone small bouquet, perfect for a first date. Mingi came back merry that night, a little too excited for Yunho's tired sleepy head. He didn't let Yunho sleep before he convinced Yunho a bouquet was a must get for a first date.

What Yunho doesn't expect is for San to say he'd wait.

"You sure?" Yunho asks.

"I mean, I still have my muffin left," San points at his muffin, today's specialty, peanut butter banana flavour. "I'll just be around for a while longer talking to Yeo and Woo, so if you happen to come back in time, we can still hang around. But if not, I'll just text you."

Yunho agrees, promising himself he'd end the Mingi business as soon as possible. He nearly leans in and gives San a hug, and realises he has grown too comfortable holding San in his arms. He gladly has a moment to think twice, convincing a friend won't just hug and bid a brief goodbye.