Chapter 5 - Riley

"So," I say "You live here? I didn't know you and Sean were related."

"We're not."

"Oh."

"What of it?" she asks.

"Uh...nothing. I just never saw you at school and I didn't even know you lived with Sean."

"Well, you should pay more attention to your surroundings."

"Why do you live with them? I mean, you're not related to them."

"That's my problem not yours." she snaps and I sense that I've hit a nerve.

I put my hands up in surrender. "Didn't mean to intrude. Just wanted to get to know you better." I say with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

Her facial expression morphs into one of annoyance. "Well, I don't want to know you. You only want to get in my pants and it isn't going to happen."

"That's not true."

"I don't give a damn. Now leave me alone."

I stare at her back as she stomps up the stairs and let out a sigh. Man, icebreakers are harder than they look; I was just trying to be friendly. I plop down on the couch in exhaustion whilst blindly fumbling around for the remote to turn on the TV. The news reporter chats about the weather and our stupid ass president - same old boring crap. I feel my phone vibrate in the back of my pocket.

Ciara: Hey baby! My parents have gone out for the night. I'm throwing a party. How bout you come over?

Me: Sorry. Have homework to do for tomorrow.

Ciara: Please baby! You can do your homework over here and maybe after, I'll give you a treat. ;)

I look at her last text. Not like, I have anything better to do. I might as well find something to do. Besides, I need to blow off some steam.

Me: Yeah! I'll be over in a bit.