Chapter Two

Professor Snape's first years opening speech was a masterpiece of well timed theatrics. Yes, it was always the same words, but he liked to think with age he had become increasingly more intimidating and awe inspiring.

He saw Draco Malfoy lean forward in his seat, ensnared, and had to suppress a look of satisfaction.

Naturally, the only student who appeared completely unimpressed was Harry Potter. He hadn't even seemed to acknowledge the Potions Master, preferring to doodle aimlessly in his schoolbooks, it looked like.

"Potter," he barked.

He challenged the bratty little thing, making sure it was nearly out of his depth. His lacking responses were dauntless, and he looked utterly disinterested in Snape. In fact, his behaviour toed the line of insolence when he suggested the girl next to him should answer in his stead. To make it clear he wouldn't tolerate such attitude, he took points, privately both enraged and surprised by his bravery.

Then again, it was the prized trait of a Gryffindor.

When the Longbottom spawn melted his entire cauldron, Snape whirled on the unsuspecting dolt across the aisle.

"Potter!" He barked again, and blamed him. He was fully aware it was unjust, and took great joy from it as his Slytherins hissed with laughter at the indignation on the spoiled child's face. He nearly argued before the orange mop next to him elbowed him harshly.

At least that one has some self preservation.

Snape dismissed the class with another sneer for Potter, who scurried away without a glance back.

The Wizarding World's wonder boy had no idea who he was going up against. Snape would never, ever succumb to the boy's conceitedness, fame, money, or stubbornness- he swore it to himself.

He would also overcome his weakness to those eyes.

When his gaggle of Hufflepuff and Gryffindor third years ambled into class with the sad resignation of veteran Potions students, Snape drove any thought of the uppity boy out of his mind.

Out of mind, out of sight, all was well for the time being.

Later that day in side chamber by the Great Hall, Severus was quickly accosted by his colleague.

"Sixteen points, Professor Snape?" McGonagall called from further down the hall,

"Professor McGonagall," Snape replied smoothly. "What a keen eye you have."

"It's the first day!" Minerva hissed. "Classes have barely begun! How on earth can you reason this?"

"Ask your Gryffindors, not I." Snape offered with no small amount of pleasure. "It's a burden your House has so many avid rule flaunters."

"You find teaching a burden," McGonagall eyed him with cool annoyance. "feel free to take it up with the Headmaster, not take it out on my students."

"I am a paragon of equality, Professor," Snape said with an oily smile.

"Oh you don't say, Severus." She gave a familiar snort of disbelief. "Now I feel assured all is as it should be."

Snape seated himself without preamble, not deigning to answer. Minerva took her own seat with a harrumph and a disapproving glare he was well used to before he became a Professor.

"How is Draco Malfoy adjusting to Hogwarts, Severus?" Minerva asked after a moment's silence, her curiosity getting the better of her as it usually did.