Chapter 2

Season 2: Episode 13

"You seem to do this every night

"You seem to do this every night. Look out this window and drink a glass of that pink wine, not sure I would call it wine though." Loretta says coming up next to me.

"It clears my mind; Bishop and I would do this together but..." I say with a frown.

Loretta pulls me into her "It's ok to be sad, to miss him and struggle to see him."

I wipe a tear that sneaks down my cheek "I miss him so much momma. I didn't realize how much until I saw him again."

"Whether he admits it or not he misses you too." She says pulling out her phone "We gotta head out. You ok to go?"

I nod in response while we go get ready since we have a case.

I am working with Loretta when Chris and Pride walk up "Loretta. My beautiful best friend." Chris said smiling at me.

"Man, this car took a beating." Chris comments as we look at the body.

Loretta sighs "Unfortunately, so did our petty officer. He has massive contusions on almost every area of his body. It's all consistent with a fall from a great height."

Pride is looking with his flashlight "Smells like someone's been drinking."

"Bourbon, I believe." Loretta says.

"Like he took a bath in it." Pride says walking around the car.

"So, is there any indication this isn't suicide?" Chris asks looking to me with a worried face.

"It's hard to sort out much of anything in this mess, but when I do, you'll be my first call." She says.

"Allison mind coming with me?" Pride asks me nervously.

I nod and follow him to go speak with his superior. The car ride was quiet, neither of us said anything until we got to the base.

"Didn't get much better than Mateo. Maybe the hardest worker I ever saw. Operational specialist helped maintain the Combat Information Center. Diligent to a fault. Had to be, I suppose." She told us as we were walking.

"Why's that?" Pride asks before I can.

"Mateo was born in Honduras. Came from nothing. Dangerous place. His family got asylum status in the U.S., and he found his way into the Navy through MAVNI." She tells him.

"Immigrant recruitment program?" I question.

She nods "We give legal immigrants a pathway to citizenship. And we don't accept just anyone. Best and brightest."

"I'm guessing when you heard the word "suicide," must have been a big shock." Pride says.

She sighed "Honestly, wish it were. Something recently had just been off."