Chapter 2: Not What I Was Expecting

(Lotus's POV)

Most of my classes were entirely underwhelming. The professors don't seem totally interested today. First day back is a drag for everyone I suppose. Usually, I'm a straight O student, until recently. When I was in first and second year I went through classes so easily, I was considered for skipping a year. Now, I have to work my arse off for As and rarely ever get anything above it. But, I do quite enjoy finding a beautiful place around the grounds to study and slowly throughout the year, take care of and dress up to be my own little place to be alone.

Today before potions I sat on a small swinging wooden bench just on the edge of the woods. That, I've decided, is my "spot" for the year. I could hear a creek nearby and a small breeze was rattling the autumn leaves. I decided to follow the sound of the flowing water and found that it was slow and shallow enough to peacefully wade in, just up to my knees. I figured it's my chance to enjoy myself after a long day.

      I sat on a boulder and tugged off my shoes and stockings. Standing up, I sat my things on the flattest area of the big rock and rolled up my pant legs. I quickly checked the water temperature with my toes, decided it didn't matter if it was really cold, and started to stroll around in the water. Once I felt properly numbed to the cold I could really enjoy everything happening around me: a slight breeze brushed by me and through the branches of the color-changing trees, rustling the leaves slightly as it went and releasing some to fall like feathers on the water surface in front of me, perfectly round rocks that had no doubt been beaten by the water for hundreds of years to get to that point. Sighing happily, I notice some of the rocks are pretty flat- I could totally skip them like 14, 15 times if I tried. Why not, I have a little time. I pick a few up and one by one I fling them all out and they skip on the water until I can no longer see them. It was very peaceful there but I wanted to go back and let my feet dry. When I went to get my shoes I heard running and laughing. Fuck you, Malfoy. I very carefully avoided twigs and jagged rocks as I trod barefoot back to the bench and got out my book. I swung lightly back and forth and read the book I found in the library............ Library... Snape... POTIONS!

I shove all my stuff in my bag and scramble back to the castle, tripping on my way several times out of sheer clumsiness and getting my fair share of cuts and bruises, stepping on dozens of sharp rocks and thorns. I barge into the potions classroom CERTAINLY late, slightly wet, muddy, barefoot, and bleeding and the whole class goes silent, including Snape, surprisingly. I walk to my assigned seat by Malfoy- a choice I did not make- and sit down nonchalantly. In the dead silent classroom, Malfoy lets out a snicker and I hear a few more scatter across the room. I slowly criss-cross my legs and hide my bare and somewhat injured feet from view. Bits of rock and wood lay buried in my feet. Then class resumes.

We jump right into brewing potions we had never heard of and the only ones that seemed to be getting an ounce of help is the Slytherins. I was struggling, not because I didn't know how to brew it but because I couldn't stand up to get the materials needed, the pain from not having shoes on during my sprint back was so unbearable. Oh well, I'll try to make teamwork happen.

    "Malfoy that's definitely the wrong ingredient PLEASE don't put it in, your grade is on the line just as much as mine."

     "I know what I'm doing so shut up, you're the one who's being lazy and not helping at all."

     "But literally it's-"

   He drops whatever the thing is into the mixture and I know for sure we're fucked, so the whole rest of class I sat in front of the cauldron watching Malfoy do it wrong so confidently. At least it was entertaining.

When class finally ended I already knew I had to stay behind so I didn't move at all, I just stared at my professor. And when everyone had left he went and shut the door, then turned back and bounded across the room straight for me with a completely straight face. I thought he was going to kill me- or at least scream at me for doing nothing all class. But he didn't. Instead, he dragged a chair in front of me, sat down, and grabbed my legs, placing my feet on his lap. Without me noticing, he had brought a small First Aid kit over. He took something that looked like pliers from the kit and gently took out the bits of rock and thorns. Then he pulled out a glass vial filled with some type of purple liquid. He lightly poured it over my wounds, and they mended themselves! He really was helping me...

When he had finished everything up he simply got up, grabbed a roll of parchment on his desk, handed it to me, and sat down without a word. It said:

"After you are healed, do what you were meant to do in class and come to my desk with it done absolutely perfectly. Any sign of imperfection is good enough reason for extra detention."

And that's exactly what I did. It took twenty minutes, I think I even might have impressed him. "Hmm. Well done, Greene. Next time, do it when you're supposed to, 10 points from Hufflepuff" Well at least I THINK he was impressed.

All I can think about, though, is that he helped me. I didn't know he knew how to be nice to people. That is not the Snape everyone knows and hates. Maybe he's not that bad under all the pent up angst...

Naaahhhh, I guess it was just a weird day for everyone.